• GCHS Yearbooks still available through the end of the school year - purchase by check only

• Graduation May 20 @ 2 pm

• May 2, 9, 16, 23 - 2 Hr Early Out

• Interested in an Ad? Email advisor Robin Hundt at [email protected]!

Girls’ Cross Country Making History

Senior Kate Kaufman (left) and junior Lacey Jackson (right) have been contributing to the Lady Rams' record breaking season

Photo by Magnus Bernsten

Photo by Magnus Bernsten

Ryan Schnurr, Contributor

Glenwood girls cross country has been making history this season. Heading into the conference meet, the team has finished atop every meet besides two where they fell only a few points short.

Last Thursday in Atlantic, under heavy rainfall and a soaked course, the Rams were edged by Dallas Center Grimes by six points. Solid performances throughout the team’s line up has been the key, with all five scored runners placing between 12th and 23rd.

Head Coach Jeff Janssen knows how special this team is, and how much potential they have for the post season.

“As a team we want to focus on what it takes to compete with and beat Atlantic, Denison, and Harlan for the Hawkeye Ten Championship. Following that, we’ll focus on whoever we will be competing against to be one of the top three teams at the state qualifying meet,” Said Janssen.

The girls certainly have what it takes, owning six of the  top 15 times in Glenwood history. Junior Lacey Jackson ran a school record 19:19.01 in Shenandoah earlier this year while senior Kate Kaufman ran the second best all time race at 19:22.89. Junior Aubrey McIntyre recorded the third best time in Glenwood history with a 19:53.21, and junior Abi Schultz ran the seventh best time of 20:21.60.

Additions to the cross country program have made a significant difference as well.

“Katelyn Malcom has really stepped in and helped take our program to another level this year.  Her relentless work in the summer and her continued performance this season has been truly outstanding,” said Janssen.  Malcom, a senior, owns the fifth best time in Glenwood history at 20:01.52  However, she is not the only addition that has contributed.

“The entire freshman class is loaded with potential, Erin Schultz being a varsity contributor and letterwinner, has been awesome, I am very proud of her hard work in the summer and her commitment to the program”  said Janssen.

Janssen also credited the team’s athlete leadership to the team’s success.“Our captains Kate Kaufman, Grace Presley, and Abi Schultz, have been committed to seeing just how good we can be and never settling for anything less”

From a coaching perspective Janssen has overseen the team finding another gear mentally. “Our mindset with racing, our attitudes, towards training, and our preparation to compete are as good as it’s been since I started coaching three years ago. The season is long from over, but I’ve had a ton of fun and am so proud of all the girls in our program for the way our girls have handled everything that’s come our way this season.”

The Rams travel to Clarinda Thursday for the conference meet, seeking the program’s first Hawkeye Ten title since 1985.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls’ Cross Country Making History”

1. Edward Martin on October 17th, 2017 9:35 am

I just want to add WTG to the runners for all their hard work and giving GCHS a spotlight in cross country! Thanks

[Reply]

• Girls’ Cross Country Making History

Feature

Final Statements from The Rambler Staff

• Girls’ Cross Country Making History

News

Class of 2018 Graduates

• News

FFA Members Earn Recognition

• Girls’ Cross Country Making History

Sports

Lady Rams Take Team Gold at Hawkeye Ten, Send 14 Events to State Meet

• Girls’ Cross Country Making History

News

Students Recognized at Fine Arts Night

• Entertainment

Seniors Predict the Future

• Entertainment

Seniors Will Abilities to Underclassmen

• Girls’ Cross Country Making History

Sports

Ram Track Qualifies 10 Events for State Meet

• Girls’ Cross Country Making History

Feature

Geeser Signs with Nebraska Band

• Girls’ Cross Country Making History

Sports

Boys’ Tennis Caps Off Undefeated Season, Takes Second at H-10