Cory Faust Reaches Milestone in Coaching Career

Faust and other coaching staff make adjustments during Glenwood's game against Thomas Jefferson.

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Ryan Schnurr, Contributor

Glenwood Head Football Coach Cory Faust is no stranger to winning. On homecoming last Friday, he tallied a milestone 100th career win as a head coach.

Faust started off teaching and coaching at AHSTW High School in Avoca. “I got into education because I wanted to make a positive impact on people, like others had done for me.” he said. “I have always loved sports, training, and competition, so coaching seemed like a good fit. However, I never had aspirations to be a head coach.”

He began his career as an assistant coach and a defensive coordinator. “I thought I knew a lot about football. In my second year, I became the head coach and by the end of the season, I realized I knew very little about the game.”

A humble Faust credited his success to mentors along the way. “I think one of my strengths is that I am always trying to learn from other coaches and I am not afraid to be different.” said Faust. “Just about everything that has worked out for me has been copied from someone else”

Faust mentioned some specific legendary coaches he remembers making an impact in his life as a youth athlete. Hall of fame coaches such as Darrell Burmeister and the late Bob Daut were among the men that Faust mentioned. He also noted that Shawn Warton, who was an assistant football coach for Faust’s high school team, was another guy that made a difference in his life.

In nine years at AHSTW, Faust led the program to a record of 68-26, including six playoff appearances in a seven year span from 2005 to 2011.  

Faust inherited a Glenwood program that had a mere three playoff appearances in 40 years. The Rams continued their struggles through Faust’s first couple seasons. Then suddenly, in 2015, Glenwood got off to a 7-0 start; the best in school history. That same team would go on to win a district championship, and became Glenwood’s first playoff-qualifying team since 2009. A year later, the Rams finished 9-3 and became the first team in school history to play at the UNI Dome in the state semifinals.

Now, in 2017, Glenwood is 5-1, making the program 22-6 in the past two and a half seasons under Faust.

“I think the dedication to the weight room in all sports has improved since I’ve been at Glenwood,” Faust said. “The football culture has changed because people care more about football now, and they have been willing to buy into the daily team process, which takes a lot of trust and unselfishness from the athletes.”

Now, Faust faces a new challenge. “We still have room for improvement and always have to fight complacency, but we have a lot of good things going on in our athletic department,” he said.

The ongoing battle with complacency is one that Faust likes to fight constantly. The Glenwood football program’s motto, “Never Settle,” mirrors the his drive to compete on the highest level possible. All in all, Faust is happy with his success, but has no plans of stopping now.

Faust will try to add one more to his win column as he takes his Rams to Creston to battle the Panthers Friday night.