• Yearbook needs your summer photos - send to [email protected]

• Order yearbooks online at jostensyearbooks.com or bring a check or cash to Mrs. Hundt in room B102

• Second week of November, the price will go up to $60.

• Purchase your yearbook before winter break for $55.00

• Interested in an Ad? Email us at [email protected]!

The Online News Source of Glenwood Community High School

School Climate Shows Little Change

Isabella Milone

At the start of the 2017 school year, a new policy was introduced: the no-slur policy. It states that GCHS will become “a safe, open learning environment free of slurs, such as insults related to ability, appearance, culture, gender, home language, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or social class.”

According to Activities Director Jeff Bissen, this policy was created so that students will become “aware that there are consequences for inappropriate slurs, language, teasing and insults.”

Though it was intended to improve the school climate, many teachers and students have not seen any change.

“To be honest, kids just make fun of the no-slur policy. I don’t think that it has really affected anything, even though it was a good idea,” said senior Marleigh Young.

Many kids agree on this, but also say that Glenwood High School has never been a school that contains a bad climate.

“I would say that the climate is very positive,” said freshman Houston Stephens.

“With slurs, we may only have five to ten percent of our students who might be the target of a slur, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem,” said guidance counselor Jedd Taylor. “Addressing any topic of unkindness is likely a good idea.”

The no slur-policy helps address problems that may arise when students are too critical of other students.