Administration Installs Tolerance Initiative

Tolerance of all students is emphasized in GCHS this year, as the staff encourages all students to interact with each other.

Photo by Robin Hundt

Photo by Robin Hundt

Photo by Robin Hundt

Ryan Schnurr, Contributor

Today in the United States people’s beliefs are as diverse as ever with everyone falling into multiple groups of race, religion, sexuality and political association. Thus, the administration has taken a proactive approach for the benefit of the school environment.

Glenwood launched a new tolerance initiative on the first day of classes, and it is already well under way. Signs have been posted throughout the halls and in every classroom. In the class meetings at the beginning of the year, tolerance was spotlighted, and in the first Olweus meetings, it was at the forefront of our conversations.

“We are trying to create an environment where everyone feels safe, comfortable, and respected. We have a lot of that now, and with all the things going on in our country, we want this place to always be a safe haven,” said Principal Richard Hutchinson.

Hutchinson realizes that not everyone is going to be friends. “We are not trying to get everyone to like everyone. That’s not going to happen. That’s never going to happen wherever you are. With some of the activities we do, we may find out someone that might actually have something in common with us and then we build on that mutual respect,” he said.

The fact of the matter is, no one is expecting to flip a switch and see all of our students will accept of one another. However, it is something Glenwood is striving for. Some students have noticed the difference.

Junior Angelina Lee said, “I think that it this year has been a lot better than the other years of high school”.  Sophomore and Bellevue West transfer Madison Purdy said, “I think Glenwood so far has used less slurs than my old school”.   

Hutchinson stressed that small changes can make a difference.

“It’s okay to just say hi to someone or fist bump someone you don’t normally hang out with, just to show we are all in this school together and we have respect for each other,” he said.