Marching Band Hard At Work Preparing for Upcoming Performances

The+band+performs+for+the+halftime+show+of+the+Harlan+game.+Photo+by+Ryan+Schnurr.+
The band performs for the halftime show of the Harlan game. Photo by Ryan Schnurr.

Emily Todd

The Marching Band is hard at work preparing for another season on the field. Instructor David Clark expects a great deal from this year’s group, “This band has been great. We already have two songs on the field,” said Clark. “Everybody knows their expectations and  knows what the goals are.”

The theme for this year’s marching band share the same theme as Homecoming, Star Wars. “The band parents are usually in charge of picking the Homecoming theme, but this year we decided to open it up to the students and let them decide,” said Clark.

For their halftime performance they are playing a Star Wars centered show. “The music has been coming along very well so far,” said Senior Drum Major, Devin Geeser.

This season, the band has added more visuals and harder selections of music to the show.  “I expect [the crowd] to see a much more powerful show,” said Geeser.

Don’t be fooled by how easy the band makes these performances look; a lot of work goes into preparing these shows.

“A typical week consists of going out to the field at 7:40 every morning,” said Geeser.

This isn’t all though, individual sections come in even earlier throughout the week.

“The drumline and the mallets come in Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at 7 a.m,” said Clark.

Student section leaders also put in a lot of time showing their sections how to march and helping them memorize their music. Clark said, “The student section leaders are really the people who run the band.”

On top of learning the music and marching formations, the band is also preparing for two upcoming competitions. These include the Loess Hill competition which will be hosted in Glenwood October 7 and the annual State Marching Competition.

The band has high goals for both of these competitions.

“We want to get first in our class at Loess Hills,” said Geeser.

The State Competition comes with a lot of pressure as well. “Our band has received a Division 1 rating for countless years, this senior class doesn’t want to be the class that doesn’t receive a D1 rating,” said Clark.

Clark believes these goals are attainable, “We have great attendance, and our memorization tests have been better this year. I think it would be out of the realm of ordinary if we didn’t get a Division 1 rating at state.”  The band just needs to remember the Force will be with them always.