Rams Prepare for District Battle with Harlan

Glenwood offense lines up against Thomas Jefferson.

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Ryan Schnurr, Contributor

This Friday Glenwood (3-0, 1-0) and Harlan (2-1, 1-0) will meet in a top tier district battle and only one will exit Ram Memorial Field victorious.

Harlan started off their season by losing 31-21 to a talented Class 4A Lewis Central team. The Cyclones’ quarterback Darren Scmitz who passed for 1845 yards in his junior campaign started off his senior season sidelined by a fractured finger. Preston Mulligan stepped up as the starting quarterback in the week one loss and threw for 139 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. Nick Foss, one of the premiere running backs in the state, finished the game with two scores and 73 rushing yards.  

In week two, Harlan sported a new quarterback in Brett Sears and cruised to a 41-7 win over Greene County. Foss, rushed for 163 yards, along with two touchdowns. Sears shined in his debut as he added three touchdowns of his own through the air. The Cyclone defense also looked solid holding Greene County to just seven points.

In week three, Creston came to Harlan looking to put an emotional week behind them.  Unfortunately for the Panthers they suffered a demoralizing 42-7 loss. Foss once again flashed signs of greatness as he ran for 231 yards and five touchdowns. The offensive line also looked impressive consistently creating big holes for the Cyclone ball carriers. However, Harlan was forced to make yet another change at quarterback when Sears suffered an arm injury.  Preston Mulligan came back into the spotlight and passed for 82 yards. The defense once again held its own, only allowing seven points.

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? The Harlan offense, with a powerful offensive line and gap-slashing Nick Foss carrying the ball, has been nearly unstoppable throughout the year, even as their quarterback carousel continued. The Cyclone ball carriers are currently averaging 6.6 yards per carry. However, they will face off with a Glenwood defense that hasn’t allowed more than 14 points all season, and has been especially good against the run, limiting Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson and Carroll to season lows in rushing yards.

As both teams are 1-0 in district play thus far, the winner will sit alone atop of the district as the front runner once the final whistle blows. The Rams and the Cyclones will play at 7:30 p.m. on Friday night. The student council sponsored theme is white out.