Girls Soccer Second in Hawkeye-10

Photo by Ed Harding

Sophomore Nora Daugherty shoots for her goal in her soccer game.

Cole Lewis, Sports Editor

The Glenwood girls soccer team with an 11-2 record speaks for itself and puts them second in the Hawkeye-10 behind their rival the Lewis Central Titans.

The Titans beat the Rams 2-3 in their May 11 game. The game came down to a last-minute goal for the Titans. 

The game was an intense battle to determine the number one team in the Hawkeye-10 conference. 

The Lady Rams will most likely face LC again in the regionals. 

The team has an easy rest of the schedule looking forward to their regional games most likely going to LC again. 

Head Coach Amy Benson is looking forward to the rest of this season and the post-season games. 

Our goals include having fun, having a winning season, and winning regionals to make it to state,” said Benson “We also want to follow our motto:  All Out, All Game, All Season.”

The team has a stellar number of young stars on the squad this season, with some record stats. 

Sophomore forward Nora Dougherty has 17 goals in one season and junior goalie Grace Nightster has 43 saves on the season to date. 

“My goals have not really changed that much, They are still to win the Hawkeye-10 conference and go to State and do our best and the same goes for most of the team,” said Dougherty.

Hard work and effort are at the forefront of the Hawkeye-10. 

“We have been working on our effort in games and practice, so we can give it our all for the entire regular season and postseason,” said Nightser.

The team will next play home against the Creston Tigers, May 13.