Girls’ Golf Powering Through with Strong Mid-season Run

Haley Woods

From left to right: seniors Grace Minchew, Hannah McGinnis, Morgan Stanislav, Sophie Benson, and Haley Woods pose for a photo in the gym.

Gordon Tuomikoski, Editor-in-Chief

The Girls’ Golf Team is making Glenwood history with an incredible 13-3 season so far as they almost reach their mid-season mark.

The team’s 13-3 score is made up of a combination of how many teams they’ve beaten in tournaments with multiple schools, and whether they won in dual matches against a single opponent. The three losses are from placing third in the Shenandoah meet, and losing against Harlan in a dual-match.

The team is made up of both new and experienced players, and features a large number of exiting seniors. Varsity members include freshmen Avery Joyce, Faith Weber; junior Sarra Leath; seniors Hannah McGinnis, Morgan Stanislav, and Haley Woods. Junior varsity members include freshmen Allison Cannon, Gracie Isenbart, Katy Plambeck, Emily Walters; sophomores Kaylyn Book, Carissa Groom; juniors Victoria Simpson, Presley Turner, Elizabeth Clark; seniors Maggie Begbie, Sophia Benson, Carmen Strosinski, Zoe Howell, and Grace Minchew.

The team has had a great season regardless of the uncertain weather.

“The season has gone well despite challenges from the weather,” said Head Golf Coach and Instructor Maria Jacobus. “We’ve beaten Treynor and Atlantic in dual matches and placed third at the Shenandoah Tournament on April 15. Haley Woods was runner-up medalist at both dual matches.  She also placed tenth individually at the Shenandoah tournament.”

The Rams fell short at Harlan on April 20. Woods achieved a 53.33 9-hole average, falling behind Harlan’s Jocelyn Cheek, who scored 44. Two more Rams took the top five in 18-hole averages, with Woods leading placing second with 101, and Stanislav and Benson in fourth and fifth with 106 and 107 respectively. Combined, Woods, Stanislav, and Benson all placed in the top five at the meet.

The girls are looking forward to the State tournament, which will begin on June 1.

“Going to the state tournament is a big goal for the team and me,” said Stanislav. “I think if we continue to work hard in and out of practice and at least four of the six varsity players shoot high forties and low fifties throughout the season, we have a good chance of going to the state tournament.”

The golf team has attracted new golfers alike, including Begbie, who is joining as a first year senior.

“I wanted to try something new my senior year,” said Begbie. “The last time I touched a club was in middle school, and I think I’ve gotten pretty decent. I’m so glad I went out for golf.”

Members recommend golf as a relaxing sport, one full of sportsmanship and that will last well beyond high school.

“I would recommend playing golf because it is a great way to get out in the fresh air, hang out with friends, and meet new people,” said Stanislav. “Golf is also a lifetime sport that will follow you into adulthood.”

The girls’ next golf match will be April 26 against Lewis Central at home.

“Golf is a sport you can play over the course of your entire life,” said Jacobus. “It teaches patience, integrity, sportsmanship, teamwork, critical thinking and problem solving. Each of those skills can be used beyond the golf course, as well, so it transcends just merely being a sport, and we have a lot of fun each year.”