FCCLA Members Advance to Nationals

Janis Moore

FCCLA members after competing at the State STAR competition.

Jess Herron, Reporter

Five FCCLA STAR event projects earned golds at State and are moving on Nationals.

Those advancing to nationals include juniors Lillie Albers, Molly Killion and Ady Oetter with their chapter in review portfolio; sophomores Trinity Kahl, Josselyn Wallis and ClaireHunt with their professional presentation; freshmen Sydney Rohrberg with her career investigation project, Allison Cannon with her leadership project, and Emily Lundvall, Carlie Clemmer, and Abby McDaneld with their sports nutrition project. 

Those who received silver medals at State were juniors Elizabeth Clark and Presley Turner with their national programs in action project. 

Clark was also elected State Vice President of Community Service. In addition, the end of this year will conclude senior Vivianne Payne’s role as State Vice President of Membership and Development.

FCCLA STAR projects and presentations can be about anything from animal care to interior design. There are no limits and members are encouraged to be creative. 

FCCLA has looked different this year compared to those in the past. Most in-person competitions, events and meetings were canceled or shifted to a virtual platform. 

“Everything being made virtual has definitely made it more challenging,” said sophomore Kahl. “It’s hard to present things, like our visuals, to the judges, they can’t see them very well.”

This year, FCCLA will be competing virtually at nationals due to limited capacity but will still take a trip to Nashville, Tennessee, in an exciting way to make up for events missed over the year.