Teachers Leaving GHS

Camryn Mullanix, Reporter

Five teachers are leaving GHS at the end of the 2021 school year: Karen Barrett,   Tammy Gubbels, Robin Hundt, Kathy Johnson and Janis Moore. 

Moore, who has taught FCS and advised FCCLA for 48 years, Barrett, who has been a librarian at the high school for the past 21 years, and Johnson, who has taught business classes and advised BPA for numerous years are all retiring. 

Moore wants to retire quietly with no fanfare, so she did not to be featured in the Rambler.

Barrett has many plans for her retirement. 

“I plan to take care of my grandbaby, Joey, garden, do a lot of crafting, and decorate my house,” Barrett said.

Johnson also has many plans for her retirement from being a full-time teacher.

“My plans are to spend time with my husband, grandchildren, friends and especially my father,” said Johnson. “I will be subbing for school districts, but on my time. I plan on doing several things on my bucket list such as ride HWY 66 on my motorcycle; travel on mini trips; go to Wayne to watch basketball, and sit on my deck to watch the sun come up and go down.”

The other two leaving Glenwood, Hundt and Gubbels,  are pursuing other interests.  Hundt has taught several different English classes in her 16 years at Glenwood and also has advised the newspaper, yearbook, mock trial and even coached large group speech one year. Gubbels has taught math classes for three years in Glenwood.

Hundt is moving to central Iowa and plans to continue being an educator while Gubbels plans to continue her education.

“I’m leaving Glenwood so that I can go back to college and get my master’s degree in mathematics,”  Gubbels said. “‘My goal is to teach calculus for college credit either at the high school level or at the community college level or maybe both.”

These teachers will miss several aspects of the school. 

“GHS has been so good to me,” said Johnson. “I will miss my fellow teachers, the ladies in the office, the janitors and my administrators here in the high school. The one thing I will miss the most is the students. Ram Nation is the best in Southwest Iowa and I wouldn’t have wanted to teach anywhere else.” 

Hundt agreed with Johnson.

“When I started teaching in Glenwood, I had no idea it would be such a long gig,” said Hundt. “I thought it was just a stopover, but I will miss so much about his place, most of all my colleagues and the great students I have had the opportunity to teach and learn from.

These teachers are adored by the students, and several are sad to see them go. 

“I’m really going to miss Ms. Moore,” said sophomore Kayden Kahl. “She’s so fun and I hope she enjoys the rest of her time here.” 

Freshman Sydney Rohrberg also will miss Moore.

“Mrs. Moore is a great teacher and FCCLA adviser,” said Rohrberg. “She is helpful while still keeping it real.”

Students also appreciate Barrett and the assistance she provided them with their online courses.

“Mrs. Barrett is always willing to go above and beyond to help students, even though they didn’t always help her,” said junior Jason Byers.

Johnson is a favorite among many students.

“Her classroom is a safe environment, and she’s always positive,’ said freshman Evan Belt. “Mrs. Johnson knows how to make tests less stressful and help people, like myself, stay calm.

Students will remember Gubbels for her humor and ability to involve students.

“She was a fun math teacher who got students involved by having them do board work,” said senior Gordon Tuomikoski. “She was pretty chill.”

Hundt will be remembered as well.

“I learned so much from Mrs. Hundt and am sad to see her go, but thankful for the time she gave to me and the Glenwood community,” said junior Abby Hughes.