Cheer Tryouts Stressful but Exciting

Jess Herron, Reporter

Cheer tryouts for the 2021-2022 season were held for eighth graders through juniors on March 14.

To assist those trying out, practices were held for a week prior to help them learn the cheers.

“I showed up to almost all of the practices,” said eighth-grader Brooklyn Schultz. “I also spent a lot of time on my own practicing, stretching, and practicing some more.”

Together, the girls’ learned their routines, helping each other out along the way.

“There were a lot of times where I was upset and felt like giving up, but I had to remind myself that quitting is not always the answer and that if I push through it,” said junior KaLaya Morrison.  “It would not only make me a better cheerleader, but it would help in the future.”

Cheerleaders were selected for basketball, football, and wrestling cheer squads. Within those three-sport squads, they were able to be on the travel varsity, home varsity, or JV/freshman squad. Altogether, 32 girls were selected.

This coming season, coaches are hoping to get back to a relatively normal season.

“Due to COVID-19 this past year, we were very limited on what stunting the cheerleaders could do,” said Coach Suzanne Hall. “I am hopeful most if not all of those restrictions will be lifted and we can build and grow the skills of all the members of our squads.”

In comparison to past seasons, tryouts featured different materials for the girls to learn, bringing a new spirit to older traditions.

Staff and cheerleaders are looking forward to the upcoming season. Cheer coaches Hall and Dixie Thomas always encourage those interested to tryout in the future.