School Fights

Trinity Kahl, Reporter

School fights have been at an all-time high across America, according to “66 Chilling Student Crime Statistics: 2020/2021 Data and Demographics by Jenny Chang.

Many of these fights stem from built-up stress, anger, and bullying. 

Because of the inescapable onslaught of social media, it is impossible for kids in 2021 to escape bullying and constant stress especially with the amount of technology.

Not being able to escape technology can take a toll on students’ mental health.  

This leads to anger which can lead to fights. An increase of built-up anger can cause someone to “explode” and release all their anger out at once, leading to the harm of others.

I think fights in American high schools could be controlled if kids were given more outlets to turn to in time of need.

Leading up to these fights there is usually gossip and talk, both in person and via social media. Students talk about the fight and when it is going to occur.

Students need more guidance on how to control their emotions and how to let go of any built-up anger, like more constant counseling and the monitoring of students’ behaviors. 

Bullying is one of the leading causes of built-up anger and stress. Kids feel like they have no way to stand up for themselves, except to fight back. 

According to “11 facts About School Violence” published by Ciaran Connolly. “In 2011, 20% of high school students were bullied at school, and 33% reported being involved in a physical fight in the last year.”

Kids who are bullied are more likely to fight against their bullies than seeking help from counselors or grown-ups.

In Glenwood High School we have a constant amount of fights happening before and after school. To ensure the amount decreases we need to help students find alternatives as outlets for stress and bullying.

This could mean trying to stop the bullying or giving them ways to calm down and rationally deal with their anger. 

To eliminate fights from occurring, Glenwood students need to stand up for each other when they see bullying and report fights or other serious issues right away to help stop fights from happening.