Madeline Becker Announced National Merit Finalist

Madeline Becker

Senior Madeline Becker was a finalist in the competition.

Jess Herron, Reporter

Senior Madeline Becker is a finalist for the National Merit Scholarship.

The National Merit Scholarship is highly competitive with only a small percentage of applicants receiving it.

“The top 1% of test-takers become semi-finalists,” said Becker. “After that, you apply again to be a finalist.”

Being named a Scholar is one of the highest acknowledgments academically possible for a student to receive. Only about 8 to 15 thousand students in the US receive this award each year.

Those successful will receive scholarships of $2,500 towards their freshman year of college as well as automatic scholarships students may receive from their college.

“The goal of the scholarship is college tuition,” said Becker “A lot of schools will give automatic scholarships to merit scholars.”

To qualify as a semifinalist, students must take the PSAT, a test over english and math subjects, and, depending on the year, score around 1400 out of 1520 points. Most applicants take this test their sophomore or junior year in October.

Most often, these students are also involved in a number of extracurricular activities.

“I’m involved in cheer, dance, tennis, band, student council, National Honors Society, and speech,” said Becker.

Becker plans to attend college in a coastal, out-of-state area and pursue a pre-law degree in economics with an emphasis on public policy.