FCCLA Places Well At Districts

Provided by Janis Moore

The FCCLA team poses for a photo.

Reece Jacob, Reporter

FCCLA members recently competed in District Star Events bringing home five gold and two silvers.

Star event categories include things like Child Therapy, Portfolios, and Leadership. Star events all require a speech, and some require visuals. They can be given individually or by a group.

“There are over 30 different star events this year,” said senior Vivianne Payne. “I chose to do Recycle Redesign and create earrings out of pop cans to promote the message of recycling.”

The state competition will be both in-person and online. The competitors will be in person, with everyone else virtual.

“I think that our chapter has been able to make the best of this year, even though a lot of our favorite events were modified,” said junior Lillie Albers. “A lot of our conferences became virtual, so we chose to make them engaging and fun, especially for our newer members. I feel we have been able to capture the FCCLA experience even with limitations.”

Gold winners included Sydney Rohrberg with her presentation on Child Therapy; juniors Molly Killion, Albers, and Adalyn Oetter with Blast Off with FCCLA; Allison Cannon with leadership; Vivianne in Repurpose and Redesign; and Carlie Clemmer, Emily Lundvall, and Abby McDaneld in Sports Nutrition. Silver winners included sophomores Trinity Kahl, Claire Hunt, and Josselyn Wallis in Professional Presentation; Presley Turner and Elizabeth Clark with their presentation on National Programs in Action.

The Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) is an organization that focuses on many youth concerns, such as family relationships, peer pressure, substance abuse, or anything of the sort.