Poll Shows Rising Dependency on Technology

Rambler Staff

The Rambler logo.

Teresa Hutchinson, News and Feature Editor

Technology use has been rising for generations, but with COVID – 19 locking us indoors, our dependency has rapidly increased over the past year.

Before the virus struck, the world was already struggling with addiction to technology. Without the threat of potential contraction of the virus, people would gather together and entertain themselves with phones, tablets or video games of any kind instead of partaking in casual conversations.

The Rambler staff recently surveyed the student body and teachers about their technology usage. Of the 181 respondents, the survey showed 41.7% spending 4-6 hours on their phone. Almost the same number of people agreed they spent those 4-6 hours on subjects unrelated to school, such as interacting on social media, listening to music or watching videos on youtube.

However, school technology usage is necessary. Students such as senior Lucas Schoening who are participating in SLO (Students Learning Online) or Edmentum, learning at home, are required to be on their commuter for hours every day to complete classwork and participate in activities outside of school.

“I can’t remember the last time I went without being on technology; it’d probably be before the school year started,” said Schoening. “Every day I have to look at my computer in order to participate in classes. It feels like almost everything that I do now has to revolve around the use of a computer or monitor.”

I personally find it humorous when my family is all in the living room with our favorite shows on the television, but everyone is looking at their phone or playing their Switch. It is slightly sad, however, if one of us tries to start a conversation, be it about school, work, or a random topic, the remaining family members will give one-word responses or tell them they are busy.

It is no lie that technology has its many perks: connection to friends and family across the world, access to an endless amount of information at the touch of a button or even just a few spoken words. All these advantages to technology are awesome and life-changing, but do they outweigh the disadvantages?

“Technology can be a distraction from work, studying and can cause social isolation, but technology provides a greater wealth of knowledge,” said senior MacKenzie Woods. “Why should I voluntarily give up having the world at my fingertips?”

Not everybody struggles with this addiction, some people don’t feel the tether to their phone that other people do.

“My phone is something I could live without, but I wouldn’t choose to not have it,” said sophomore Ryley Nebel. “I will admit that it is extremely easy to dissociate and just play on my phone or computer.”