Wrestling Season Showing Strong Promise

Ed Harding

Freshman Vinny Mayberry wrestles Treynor freshman Jameson Drake on December 15.

Gordon Tuomikoski, Editor-in-Chief

The Wrestling team is starting off strong, placing well in their first meets and showing promise with a fearsome lineup of wrestlers.

The varsity lineup and their weight class consists of freshmen Vinny Mayberry (106), Briten Maxwell and Matthew Beem (113), Bryer Mower (126), Trevor Hargens (132), Kellan Scott (138), Trent Patton (220); sophomores Thaine Williamson (120), Gavin Connell (145), Tate Mayberry (152), C.J. Carter (195), and Kaden Flott (285); juniors Tyler Boldra (160), Mitch Mayberry (182); and senior Zander Hayes (170). The junior-varsity lineup consists of freshman Emily Lundvall and Jordin Acosta (120), Christian Eiseman (132), Preston Longchaya (195), and Taden Kindt (220); sophomore Renner Bardsley (138); juniors Ian Lorson (152), Austin Patton (170); and seniors Abby McIntyre (138), Andrew Gill (170), and Sully Woods (220).

“The wrestlers have been doing a good job,” said Head Coach Tucker Weber.  “The kids are starting to invest in the program and I can see the improvement each day.”

The team lost star wrestlers like Cole Mayberry, after graduating, but the lineup is still looking strong with a powerful team of underclassmen.

“I think the team this year is pretty solid and there is a lot of potential in the underclassman for sure,” said Carter. “I believe we have members that will be state qualifiers this year.”

Wrestling members are fond of the competition as well as the self confidence that comes with the sport.

“My favorite thing about wrestling are the lessons it teaches you and the one-on-one competition that makes you rely on yourself and not others,” said Mitch Mayberry.

Weber agreed with Mayberry about the individual motivation required of this sport.

“I love the one-on-one aspect of wrestling,” said Weber. “Win or lose you have nobody to blame except yourself. It teaches self discipline and mental toughness.”

The squad members are working their hardest to prepare for the district, regionals and state competition come January and February.

“I think we have a solid team this year and we could be especially dangerous come January with everyone healthy,” said Mayberry. “Mentally I am prepared for state. Physically not yet, I need to be better winded by the third period.”

The Wrestlers will compete next in Red Oak on Thursday, January 7.