BPA Creating Future Business Leaders

The Business Professionals of America logo.

Provided by BPA

Gordon Tuomikoski, Editor-in-Chief

The Business Professionals of America organization is preparing students for the real world by teaching them life skills. Members learn about everything from how to start a company to how people behave within them.

“The mission of Business Professionals of America is to contribute to the preparation of a world-class workforce through the advancement of leadership, citizenship, academic  and technological skills,” said BPA Sponsor Kathryn Johnson. “To succeed in the business world, students need a full range of skills and a broad understanding of the how it works, which BPA teaches.”

Senior Madeline Becker serves as the chapter’s President and is an Iowa BPA Officer for the organization.

“This is my third year in BPA,” said Becker. “The thing I enjoy most about BPA is the chance to give speeches. I really love to write, and this is the perfect opportunity to do so.”

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, BPA’s usual annual competitions will look different.

“This year regionals will be in person and our State competition will be part virtual, part in-person in Des Moines,” said Johnson. “Nationals have been cancelled.”

Members are taught vital business skills to use in the real world and participate in group activities, projects and tests as competitions.

“BPA has really helped me gather great business experience for the real world. Whether that’s business law, accounting, or even presentation skills,” said junior Jacob Mitchell, who serves as the chapter’s treasurer. “I’ve enjoyed taking accounting tests in competitions for BPA and also group presentations about finding a solution to a real-world problem occurring in a small business.”

As with everything this year, COVID-19 has affected BPA in a variety of ways.

Nationals were originally scheduled to be in Florida, but it has since been cancelled due to COVID. The State competition will be partially online as well to reduce the number of participants. Competitions will be announced at a later date.

“It is rewarding to see the students achieve their goals,” said Johnson. “I love when the students that are comfortable in what they are doing take a leap of faith and experience something new. It warms my heart to see them grow.”

Members include, freshmen Adam Severn, Bryant Keller, Elizabeth Thiesen; sophomores Christopher Carter, Talon Shain, Cayden Lewis; juniors Cayden Lewis, Jacob Mitchell, Carter Kirsch; seniors Sarah Clayton, Lauren Becker, Erin Schultz, Madeline Becker and Maya Silvius.