Staff Editorial: Online Learning is Only Half Effective If Students Put in The Effort

Rambler Staff

The Rambler logo.

Teresa Hutchinson, News and Feature Editor

The students of GHS have returned from remote learning. The school is cleaned and ready to go and the relaxing days of simple at-home assignments are behind us.

The remote learning was set up in order to stop the Coronavirus from making its rounds around the school more than it had already. Despite the implied isolation, students were not forced to stay inside their homes, leaving the opportunity to contract the virus on their own. The school obviously cannot force students to stay home but this issue is something to think about.

The at-home learning assisted by not only decreased the spread of COVID at our school but also minimized boredom the advanced students faced in their classes. With the ability to work at their own paces, students were able to complete assignments back to back without having to wait until the next class started.

Teachers recorded or posted lesson plans to help students with other responsibilities like taking care of other family members and jobs. This was advantageous to those students, giving them time to finish assignments on time and take notes to be prepared for the next day. Bellwork was due posted by the teachers by 10 am, from students by 3:30 pm and assignments were due by midnight on a day of the teachers choosing which permitted students to take their time to focus while they do what they needed to do personally.

This seemed very efficient; however, students tended to turn in the bellwork and ignore the assignments with no regard for the due date, proving the online learning to only be effective half the time. What students forgot, was that even though nothing could be graded over the two and a half week break, the assignments are necessary in order to understand the upcoming outcomes for each class.

While the students got to take their time and work at their own pace if at all, instructors still had a lot of work to do. Bellwork and assignments had to be produced every day, yet many students ignored their assignments. The staff did not get a ‘coronacation.’ They were in a constant state of grading, creating and cleaning, making it possible for students to return to a clean school and receive the information needed for assessments. Despite students’ unwillingness to complete assignments instructors buckled down and produced results without faltering.

Students should have applied themselves further by completing assignments and turning them in. If there were issues in completing assignments, they could have contacted their via email instructor, or even the school, to help them fix the problem. The remote learning would have been more effective this way. It’s time that we students at Glenwood High school take responsibility for our education and actions.

Staff vote: unanimous