Lewis Joins the English Department

Teresa Hutchinson

Instructor Heather Lewis GCHS English Department after 20 years of teaching.

Teresa Hutchinson, News and Feature Editor

Instructor Heather Lewis joined the Glenwood High School teaching staff. She is teaching English 9, 10 and 11.
Lewis has always known that she wanted to be a teacher, and she has followed her dream.
“I love working with young people, and I enjoy teaching and spending time with this age group,” said Lewis.
Though she is new to our school, she is not new to teaching students.
After graduating college she spent ten years at Sydney, then taught at Caplin University in Academic Strategies and as their business advisor. Next, she went to Iowa Western Community College to be the director of disability services, then worked at AIM institute helping the college access program to assist first-generation, low income, and disabled students. Most recently, Lewis then joined the Clarinda teaching staff. She taught various English classes at Fremont Mills before joining the Glenwood High School English Department.
“Everybody has been so nice and welcoming here,” said Lewis, “I have usually been the only English teacher so trying to find the time and collaborating with other teachers is a bit of a learning curve.”
While Lewis has twenty years of teaching under her belt, a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Iowa State and a Masters of Science in Curriculum and Introduction from Peru State, she is still a student herself aiming for her Master’s degree in English while working here in Glenwood.
Lewis is not all school and no cool, her hobbies include motorcycle riding, reading and watching movies. She is also married with six children.
Through her years of teaching Lewis has found faith in all her students.
“I believe one hundred percent that all students can learn and be successful,” Lewis said.