Rams Start First Half of the Season 2-1

Ed Harding

Senior Sully Woods makes the tackle to keep the Treynor Cardinals shut out.

Cole Lewis, Sports Editor

The varsity football team stood their ground against the Treynor Cardinals earning a win 37-0 on September 4 But the team fell short to the Harlan Cyclones 22-13 on Friday, September 11.

Senior linebacker Sully Woods thought that the team had a really good chance going into the Harlan game.

Going into that Harlan game both my team and I were very confident,” said Woods. “That whole week we had been preparing very well and had good practices. The first half of the game showed we prepared really well, we just couldn’t keep it up in the second half.”

During the Harlan game, Glenwood the team lost their junior starting quarterback Brock Sell when he broke his thumb in the third quarter. Sell will still be playing safety and kicker until his thumb heals. 

I broke my thumb by tackling someone and it got jammed and bent,” said Sell

Sophomore Tate Mayberry will step into the quarterback role against Creston.

“I believe that this team is gonna be just fine no matter who’s playing quarterback’ we just need to step up and execute,” said Mayberry “We win as a team and lose as a team. Coach Faust always tells us that football is the ultimate team game and you can’t play it by yourself.”

Head Coach Cory Faust prefers to look ahead instead of back. 

“We play nine one-game seasons and only focus on the week at hand,” said Faust “We’ll improve as much as possible this week and then do the same each week after that. If we do that, I think we’ve proven we can compete with anyone.”

The team will play Lewis Central next week for their Homecoming which should be an exciting game for. The Rams will head to Creston tonight to face the Tigers on September 18.