Unfilled Science Position Leads to Online Classes

Terra Jensen

Juniors Jayme Fritts, Tye Nebel, and Nick Erwin work on their online class.

Terra Jensen, Entertainment Editor

At the beginning of the school year, students may have noticed that one of their classes was replaced with “Online Year.” This led to an array of confusion among students, as students did not remember signing up for it.

This summer, former Glenwood High School science teacher Quinn Groff left Glenwood to take a position in Ankeny, Iowa. Consequently, this left his classes without a teacher, and unfortunately, the high school has yet to find his replacement.

When students registered in the spring for their classes, they were given science class options including those Groff had taught: Principles of Technology, Physics, and Environmental Science. “All the students who were registered for those classes were automatically placed in Online Year,” said Guidance Counselor Paulina Rodenburg.

Junior Lucas Hug is taking both Environmental Science and Physics online. He would prefer in-person classes, but he doesn’t mind going at his own pace.

“I personally think the online class is harder than an in-person class,” said Hug. “The in-person class allows the student to talk to a teacher if you need help or don’t understand what you are being taught, but I also enjoy the online class more due to being able to go at my own pace.”

Other classes that were placed in Online Year include foreign language and Composition.

“Students who planned to take a foreign language online were placed in the Online Year until we could place them in the class in the fall,” said Rodenburg.

Composition will be online this year as well. Next year, it will be offered at the high school again.