Rams Defeat Yellow Jackets in Season Opener

Junior+quarterback+Brock+Sell+%288%29+crosses+the+endzone+for+a+Ram%27s+touchdown+in+the+first+half+of+the+game+against+Thomas+Jefferson+on+August+28.+

Ed Harding

Junior quarterback Brock Sell (8) crosses the endzone for a Ram's touchdown in the first half of the game against Thomas Jefferson on August 28.

Cole Lewis, Sports Editor

Even with COVID-19 on everybody’s minds, the Glenwood Rams football team opened the 2020 season with a gigantic win over the Thomas Jefferson Yellowjackets on Friday night. Led by great leadership and passing from starting junior quarterback Brock Sell, the Rams beat the Yellowjackets 57-7.

Sell is not only a good leader on and off the field but also respected by his teammates. Yet he is humble about his leadership role.

“I don’t feel too much pressure to be a leader since we have a lot of experience and great leaders already on the team,” Sell said

Head Coach Cory Faust. Credits the win to the energy and talent throughout the team.

“I think our energy so far this year has been good,” Faust said. “We have good talent and character on our team.”

On the offensive side, the team was balanced with 188 passing yards and 293 rushing yards. Sell had a monstrous game with 188 passing yards and three passing touchdowns and 108 rushing yards earning three touchdowns. Senior wide receiver Ryan Blum added to the offense by boasting the most receiving yards with 109 and a total of three receiving touchdowns. Also notable, running back sophomore C.J. Carter had 10 carries for 30 yards, and running back senior Drew Gill had two carries for 36 yards and one touchdown.

Senior wide receiver Silas Bales was quick to compliment the team’s running game.

“Having a great running game from C.J. Carter and Drew Gill allows us to pass the ball with a lot more confidence,” Bales said. “Having four fast wide receivers and a QB like Brock Sell, we are able to move the ball effectively down the field.“

On the defensive side, senior linebacker Sully Woods was a standout player making five tackles against the Yellowjackets. Sophomore defensive tackle Logyn Eckheart helped the defense by forcing a turnover and recovering a fumble.

With a big win this week, the team moves forward with new goals to reach.

“We try to win every game and get better,” Woods said. “By focusing on the things that we need to do, so we get better every week.”

Faust’s goals for the team extend off the field of play.

“I want the team to continuously improve and develop skills like selflessness, empathy, integrity, self-discipline, resilience, relentless positive attitude, and effort,” Faust said.

COVID-19 has severely impacted the whole world for the past seven months. Faust had to make a lot of changes for his football team to play and for his players to come to school this year.

“We hand sanitize regularly, we wear face shields on our helmets, we limit contact and locker room use as much as possible, we keep players in groups, and we keep them moving or spread out,” Faust said. Coaches also wear masks at practices and games, and players received which they are encouraged to wear off the field.

The Rams could have a tough test tonight as they stay home to take on the 1-0 Treynor Cardinals. Treynor wide receiver Kaden Miller didn’t let up on the gas pedal in his junior debut. Miller caught 23 passes for 108 yards and one touchdown for the Cardinals’ 28-13 win over Clarinda. Unquestionably the Rams need to come ready to play tonight. Glenwood and Treynor will kick off at 7 p.m. at Rams Stadium.