Continuous Learning Update from Superintendent Embray

Photo+of+the+COVID-19+virus.+Photo+from+Live+Science.+

Photo of the COVID-19 virus. Photo from Live Science.

Isabella Milone, Co-Editor in Chief

The following is an announcement regarding continuous learning from Superintendent Devin Embray:

We will continue to provide virtual learning opportunities for students throughout the remainder of the year.  At the secondary level, students can redo work completed or not completed between the dates of January 21, 2020, and March 16, 2020.  This would be especially important for those students not passing during that time period.  Our teachers are getting better each day with working through the virtual world of providing new learning opportunities for students.  I do want to stress the importance of being engaged during this time.  We are required to put in place a “Return to Learn” plan and submit that to the Department of Education at the state level by July 1, 2020.  The more students are engaged now, the better off they will be in the fall when we return.  The details of that plan are not finalized, but once they are we will communicate the plan to all parents, staff, and students.  We appreciate all the efforts that parents have made to engage their students THANK YOU!  And we want to give a shout out to our teachers who are doing all they can to meet the needs of their students during this shutdown period.

Graduation for this year will be virtual on the original date of May 31, 2020.  Details on that will be forthcoming, however, we will also have an in-person graduation on August 1, 2020, pending the Governor’s proclamation of gatherings at that time.  We hope by providing both the virtual and the in-person, we can address the seniors that need their diploma early so they can transition as well as providing families the opportunity for a traditional setting even though it will be at a different date.

Our food service staff will continue to provide meals on Monday’s, Wednesday’s and Friday’s throughout the month of May.  There may be a short break prior to rebooting the program as our summer program.  Should the restrictions on the program change, i.e. from curbside pickup to a congregating setting inside, we will communicate that to all parents in advance.  Our partnership with local establishments to provide meal delivery will run through the month of May, ending on May 29, 2020.  Should the Governor still have gathering limitations at that time, we will consider extending the service and will communicate that out.

Kids Place continues to operate throughout this entire shutdown.  There is room in the program if you need daycare assistance.  Kids Place is also the drop-off point for elementary printed materials.  If you need Middle School or High School printed materials for academics, they can be found at those buildings.  Please just call ahead and arrange for them to be picked up.

Thank you for your support and patience as we continue to journey through this endeavor.  Please stay safe, practice social distancing, increased personal hygiene, and stay away from others if you feel ill.