Quarantine Time Affects Senior Class

Photo provided by spreadshirt.com

Tanner Williams, Entertainment Editor

This COVID-19 crisis currently happening around the world is affecting nearly everyone and their daily lives. Although one major group of students is being affected worse than all: the senior graduating classes of 2020.

Just like with every class, the members of the class of 2020 have been working towards graduation for nearly their entire lives, putting in countless hours of work and time into their eventual success. As one of the biggest events in a person’s life, the class of 2020 has waited patiently for their turn in the spotlight for years only for it to now be taken away from them.

The recent outbreak of the COVID-19 virus has caused many school districts to shut their doors nationwide, sending their students home for several weeks. Now for most, this may not seem like a problem, but for the class of 2020 this poses as a robbery of their last memories and times they have in their high school career.

Glenwood in particular has already fully cancelled their annual March Madness event, a time used to allow the seniors to celebrate and create a few more lasting memories. This event has been pulled from the school schedule, cheating the seniors out of a memory they have been waiting to partake in since their freshman year. On top of this, the senior class is missing out on final season events such as jazz band, the powderpuff game and show choir competitions.

“Missing out on those activities is super disappointing, like powderpuff, march madness, state jazz band, and all of those aren’t things you can recreate another time,” said senior Sami Parr. “It hurts not being able to experience so many of those last time things.”

This time of quarantine is not only affecting the activities that could have been, but also changing how students go about their daily routines.

Senior Tyler Stanley said, “The quarantine has made my routine very unstructured, I essentially do what I need to whenever I want to.”

“[My routine] is super messed up, ” said other senior Jaeda Wilson. “I’m in a lot of activities and it was a really hard transition but it’s starting to become more regular.”

Students of other grades also understand how much this event has impacted their  classmates senior year.

Junior Maya Silvius said she feels immense sorrow for the seniors and that everyone has lost something in this matter. Silvius’ sentiments were echoed by sophomore Terra Jensen.

“I feel pretty bad since this definitely is probably one of my favorite senior classes,” said Jensen. “Definitely sucks for seniors that wanted to have fun and spend time with their friends before the end of the school year.”

Parents of seniors see the quarantine changing the lives of not only their seniors but their own lives too.

“I really miss all of the extracurricular activities that were planned,” said senior Adam Clayton’s mom, Christine Clayton. “The students work so hard to prepare for these events and it is heartbreaking to have all of that work be wasted, especially for the seniors that won’t have another opportunity to shine.”

“What absolutely breaks my heart for not only my senior student, but all 2020 seniors are the events and memories they will ultimately miss out on,” said senior Tanner William’s mom Carla Williams. “We are hopeful that they will be able to finish their senior year and celebrate together with a new sense of humbleness and gratitude.”

The class of 2020 mourns the loss of their memories and times; although our hearts do go out to all others who are also being affected during these tragic events.

“Please simply be courteous to the seniors,” said senior Jackie Postlewaite. “We don’t expect special treatment, but do try to look at it from our point of view. We’ve all lost a lot this year. Let’s just be kind to each other. Everyone has lost something to this situation, whether it’s big or small.”