Jazz Band Qualifies for Iowa Jazz Championships

Senior+Sydney+Major+on+saxophone%2C+senior+Jerrianne+Richardson+on+trombone%2C+and+sophomore+Josh+Neiman+on+trumpet+performing+at+Jazz+Competition.+

Senior Sydney Major on saxophone, senior Jerrianne Richardson on trombone, and sophomore Josh Neiman on trumpet performing at Jazz Competition.

Lillian Becker, Editor in Chief

The Jazz Band received second place at the District Competition, which qualified them for the Iowa Jazz Championships in April for the 17th year in a row. Jazz Band then received first place at the Lewis and Clark Jazz Festival in Sioux City. 

Jazz Band competed at the Western Iowa Tech Community College in Sioux City on February 24 and the District competition in Glenwood on February 17.  

Senior saxophonist Audrey Arnold has participated in jazz band since sixth grade. She has participated in Jazz A or Varsity Jazz band since seventh grade.

“I enjoy jazz because the music is more fun and interesting to play,” said Arnold. “As a saxophone player, our concert band music isn’t always interesting, but in jazz band we get the melody a lot, so it’s a nice change. I also like it because it is more up to interpretation, so you can really make it your own.”

Jazz Band is directed by instructor Dan Schoening who is passionate about his job. 

“Glenwood has placed in the top two each year since 2004,” said Schoening. “This program is something I am extremely proud of.”

Members of the Jazz Band have high hopes for the Jazz Championship and hope to place in the top three. The Jazz Band will perform at the Iowa Jazz Championships on Tuesday, April 7 in Ames Iowa on the Iowa State campus.