FFA Week Creates School Spirit

FFA Week Creates School Spirit

Provided by Iowaffa.com

Lucas Hug, Advertising Manager

Throughout the week of February 24 to February 28, the Future Farmers of America (FFA) created multiple themed dress up days for all GHS students to participate in.

Monday was wear your favorite agriculture brand day, Tuesday was farmer day (hat, boots, flannel), Wednesday was blue and gold day, Thursday was camo day and Friday was red, white and blue patriotism day.

“I participated because I thought it would be fun. I wore a camo hoodie, camo pants and a camo hat on camo day,” said sophomore Donovin Erickson.

Members of the chapter choose all of the themes for the week. After they were chosen, the GHS administrators have to approve of the themes.

National FFA Week always runs Saturday to Saturday and encompasses February 22, George Washington’s birthday. The National FFA Board of Directors designated the weeklong tradition, which began in 1948, in recognition of Washington’s legacy as an agriculturist and farmer.

FFA Students have to take a minimum of one semester of an agriculture course and pay $10 dues. Dues cost $17.50 but the chapter pays $7.50 of the dues. The dues go to the state and National FFA organization. FFA Districts took place on Saturday, March 7.

Some advantages are that you get to help your community, you get to participate in competitions and conferences and you get to grow your knowledge in agriculture related topics,” said Vice President Zach Zielstra.