Lady Rams Basketball Team Ranked Third in State

Ed Harding

Sophomore Madison Camden scores two of her 13 points against Atlantic December 6.

Makenzie Mathews, Reporter

The Lady Rams Basketball Team seems unstoppable, has won its first six games and is currently ranked second in the state in Class 4A and third overall.

The Lady Rams picked up their most recent victory December 13, when they easily defeated Clarinda (90-13) with sophomore Madison Camden scoring the most points in the game with a total of 22, junior Elle Scarborough added 14, and freshman Jenna Hopp, sophomores Abby Hughes and Brynlee Arnold and junior Emma Hughes each contributed nine. 

On December 10, they defeated Denison (67-57) with sophomore Madison Camden again scoring the most points in the game with a total of 15 points, followed by Hopp with 13, Scarborough with 11 and Arnold with 9. 

The Lady Rams faced Carroll December 7 and won a close game (72-65). Once again Camden was the leading scorer with a total of 24 points. Arnold and Abby Hughes followed closely by scoring 11 points each, and sophomore Coryl Matheny and Scarborough each scored a total of 10 points. 

The Lady Rams faced Atlantic December 6 and came away with a distinctive win (71-45) with Hopp scoring 17 points, leading the team to victory. Scarborough scored 15 total points, and Camden scored a total of 13. 

On December 3, the Lady Rams had a close victory over Abraham Lincoln (73-69). Hopp scored a total of 22 points, with Scarborough scoring a total of 13. 

November 26, the girls scored a large victory over Thomas Jefferson (65-37). Hopp again scored the most points, a total of 23. Camden was the second highest scorer, with a total of 12 points. 

Even though the team is undefeated, Head Coach Brian Rasmussen stressed the players need to stay focused.

“In all honesty, our toughest opponent may be ourselves,” said Rasmussen. “We must not get complacent, lose our drive to consistently compete, or stop trusting in one another. We have a lot of really good opponents left on our schedule, and if we can stay hungry and continue to find success, the target on our back will only get larger each and every day. We know we are going to get everyone’s best, and we are excited about the upcoming challenges.” 

The team has a deliberate and organized approach with practices that last 2 to 3 hours after school everyday. The goal driven team takes it one step at a time with practices that are filled with shooting drills, running through plays, and full court drills. 

“We have many goals for this season,” said Camden. “Our team goals for this year are to improve our record, to rebound the best, to have the best free throw percentage out of any other team and to go to state.”

The team returned with all but three starters from last year and boasts a lot of talent.  

I am very excited about this year, there is a lot of talent on our team and I can’t wait to get after it and win some more games,” said junior Elle Scarbrough. 

The Lady Rams’ next game is against Lewis Central and will be played at Glenwood on December 17.