Staff Editorial: Every Student Needs a Cell Phone

Rambler Staff

Since the release of the iPhone which revolutionized the cell phone industry a decade ago, the mobile phone has transformed our lives for better or for worse. With technology playing an ever increasingly large part in our lives, it seems nearly everybody has a cell phone. Like most technologies, it has been met with huge controversy, with people instantly throwing out the cons without realizing the true power of having a multi purpose device in our pockets. There are many adults who still feel like their children or students don’t deserve cell phones, and schools enforce harsher and harsher restrictions on them. It’s time to sit back and look at the incredible capabilities of cell phones in student’s lives.

One of the most important things in anyone’s life is communication. We are social creatures, and love communication. This freedom to communicate remotely provides both safety and convenience. Students are able to call their parents if they need something like they forgot their bag or need to leave early. They can call from the office, but not all phone calls are approved without proper reason. Students can also call their parents if they aren’t feeling well, there are times where the nurse just sends them back to class or the nurse isn’t available due to the high school sharing the nurse with the middle school.

At the middle school, students still aren’t able to have cell phones out at all. They can’t use it in the hallway, they can’t use it at lunch, and this has a very negative effect on the social and enjoyment students get out of school life. From the time they enter the building to the time they leave they aren’t allowed to have their cell phones out or they’ll face consequences. 

Fortunately, here at the high school we have more freedom. We can use phones at lunch, in the hallway, their use in school is not punished as harshly, but it is still quite harsh. If students are caught three times, they will lose their phone permanently, and have to put it in the office and not be able to pick it up until the end of the day. This rules enforcement varies, as some teachers are more lenient while other teachers won’t even give you a warning and take it mercilessly. We feel like this three strike rule is still way too harsh.

Classroom environments are always full of Chromebooks, but we feel like cell phones could enrich the learning experience as well. This is already practiced with to a limited extent with students using their phones for things like Kahoot or Quizlet Live, but cell phones can be useful for learning and teaching. The Chromebooks are slow due to their netbook design and find ourselves wishing we could use our cell phones to google something quickly without the slow loading chromebooks. Funnily enough, many cell phones are more powerful than the Chromebooks with their slower processors. There’s a reason cell phones can run 3D mobile games, and a Chromebook can barely run Cool Math Games. This more powerful processor can allow students to use more interactive learning apps than what’s able to work on Chromebooks because they’re more powerful. 

Cell phones have their ups and downs, but one thing is for sure. They should be encouraged more in the classroom environment for their processing speed, convenience, and communication capabilities. It’s time to stop discouraging these fantastic pieces of technology.

Staff Vote: Eight yes, one no.