District Celebrates Red Ribbon Week

Dylan Engel, Reporter

Red Ribbon Week was a week to promoting positive decision making. Especially choices involving alcohol and other drugs. 

According to Guidance Counselor Kathleen Loeffelbein, Red Ribbon Week was started after the kidnapping, torture and murder of Enrique Camarena, a DEA agent in 1985. Camarena had been working undercover in Guadalajara, Mexico, for over four years. His efforts led to a tip that resulted in the discovery of a multimillion-dollar narcotics manufacturing operation in Chihuahua, Mexico.

Red Ribbon Week is celebrated during the month of October. It is the nation’s largest and longest running drug awareness and prevention program. Students here in the Glenwood School District signed pledges to be drug free. 

At the Northeast, Reach/SADD members read “The Red Ribbon Story- A Message of Hope” to every classroom. After that, each student signed a pledge to be drug free. 

At West Elementary Reach/SADD members led a game with a Red Ribbon ball, focusing on topics of making good choices, dealing with feelings and staying away from drugs. After this, all students signed a pledge to be drug free.

At the Middle School, Reach/SADD students performed a skit for an all school assembly.  The skit represented how a person might get involved with various drugs, how this can affect friendships and how to get help. They had the choice to sign a pledge to be drug free.

At the high school, Reach/SADD students decorated the building for this week and made pledge cards available to all students at lunch as well as wristbands that stated, “I Believe in Me.” 

According to Loeffelbein, This theme is an important one. “When a person truly believes in him/herself, that person is more motivated to make positive choices,”  said Reach/SADD Advisor Kathleen Loeffelbein.