Girls Cross Country Competed at State Meet

The Girls Cross Country team poses with friends and family.

Provided by Erin Shultz.

Provided by Erin Shultz.

Provided by Erin Shultz.

Gordon Tuomikoski, Features and Photography Editor

The Girls Cross Country team competed against the best teams on November 2 at Iowa State Cross Country and placed fourteenth in the 3A division.

Seven varsity runners competed in the event: Juniors Emma Hughes, Erin Schultz, Karlee Raymond, Lauren Becker; sophomore Rachel Mullennax and Freshmen Ryley Nebel and Kaitlyn Carnes.

Mullenax came close to beating her record despite the cold, but she wishes she could’ve done better.

“I think I did great, I was one second from my personal record which is 20:14. It was really cold,” said Mullenax. “I wish I could have pushed myself harder even through the cold. My time was 20:15.8 and I got forty-eighth out of about 129 girls. I did enjoy it though, I was not really nervous until stepping up to the line, but I was excited to get to compete this year as last year I was an alternate.

Shultz felt like she gave her best and placed eighty-second place with a time of 21:00. 

“At state this year, I felt like I did as best as I could have,” said Shultz. “I ran my best time and placed the best I ever have out of my three appearances there. There isn’t much else I could ask for.”

Hughes wasn’t happy with her performance, but enjoyed going to state regardless.

“Personally, I wasn’t thrilled with my race,” said Hughes. “I was hoping to run about thirty seconds faster than I did. I ran a 20:44, which placed me sixty-seventh overall. Either way, state was an amazing experience. I’ve been injured the past two years and haven’t been able to ever race there so being able to race at the state meet this season was a great and fun experience.”

Coach Dani Woodman looks forward to next year’s season.

“We’re looking for a strong season next year with all of our runners returning next year and eight incoming freshmen.”