Volleyball Goes to State

The 2019-2020 Ram volleyball team after the game when they qualified for State.

Provided by the Daily Nonpareil

Zander Carda, Managing Editor

For the first time in school history the Glenwood Girls’ Volleyball Team is going to state. This season has been historic, they have broken several team and individual records. 

The Lady Rams played the Norwalk Warriors on October 29, Glenwood won in 4 sets 3-1 (11-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-16). On November 4 the Glenwood Rams played the Lewis Central Titans. The Lady Rams led 2-0 after two sets, Lewis Central would win the next two sets to tie the game 2-2. The Lady Rams won the fifth and final set to win the game 3-2 and advance to state. (25-23, 27-25, 22-25, 23-25, 15-9). 

The team has smashed many records. The 2019-2020 Rams volleyball team currently holds the record for most matches won, sets won, assists, kills, blocks and digs.

Sophomore Brynlee Arnold broke the school record for most blocks in a single season with 107 blocks on November 4 during the Lewis Central game. 

“Going into last night’s game, my goal was to break the blocking record. Coach had been telling me all night that I was going to get it,” said Arnold. “From the beginning of the first set I knew my blocks were going to be on. I didn’t think I was going to break the record, but when coach told me I did, I was shocked. It felt good and I’ve been working all season to get it. I finally did get it with the help of my teammates.”

The team has had a lot of success this season, one the reasons behind their success are junior Elle Scarborough and senior Joslyn Lewis. 

“A personal goal that I’m close to reaching is aces in an individual season. I’m at 54 right now and I only need five more to break the record,” said Lewis. “The biggest accomplishment as a team that I am very proud of is that we beat the record for matches won in a season.”

Moving forward, focus is vital for the Lady Rams.

Senior Jaeda Wilson said, “To keep on winning, we need to stay focused and don’t get complacent just because we made it to State.”

The Glenwood Girls’ Volleyball Team will play Sergeant Bluff-Luton in the first round of the state tournament on Tuesday, November 12 at 4 p.m.