New Chromebooks Have Keyboard Issues

The++HP+Chromebook+11+G6+EE+are+having+some+keyboard+issues.+

The HP Chromebook 11 G6 EE are having some keyboard issues.

Makenzie Mathews, Reporter

Numerous students who were issued new chromebooks this year are experiencing issues. 

About 39 percent of the 151 students responding to a Rambler survey about chromebooks said they are having problems with their chromebooks. Some of the problems students have experienced are the keys not working, the screen freezing and tabs randomly closing. 

Approximately 700 students in grades six through eleven received new chromebooks. The new chromebook model, HP Chromebook 11 G6 EE, has some keyboard issues. Director of Information Technology Todd Steckelberg recently explained the issue. 

“The problem with the keyboards has happened in the manufacturing process,” said Todd Steckelberg. “It is a known issue by the manufacturer and they are repairing them at no charge to us. This happens on occasion where the technical issue does not manifest itself until the unit is put into production. This is why the unit will work for an unspecified amount of time and then suddenly stop working.” 

One of the students responding to the survey said, “When I click a key it sometimes sticks and produces 3 of the same letter.” 

Another student said, “I can’t use my apostrophe key without it turning into a Spanish accent letter.”   

Students who are having problems with their chromebook should turn them into the office. They will be repaired or replaced.