Taking a Closer Look at the Code of Conduct

Lillian Becker, Editor in Chief

All freshmen and new students at Glenwood sign the code of conduct, but do they really understand what they are signing? Students only sign this contract once whereas their parents sign this contract every year as they register their kids for the next school year. In light of recent code violations and the rumors that have spread throughout the high school, the Rambler staff has decided to inform students of what the code of conduct really means. 

This contract states that students are only allowed to take part in extracurricular activities if they abide to the rules. According to the code, good conduct consists of behavior which reflects the generally accepted social and moral requirements of the community. It must be legal and at all times reflects respect and sensitivity to other people, regardless of nationality, gender, religion, race or disability. 

“Students only sign the code of conduct again if there are big changes made to the contract,” said Activities Director Jeff Bissen. “If students want to find the Code of Conduct, it is found online at the Glenwood school page and also referenced in our student handbook which is available in the office.”

Violations of the code of conduct include nine different categories: 1) selling, manufacturing or distributing illegal drugs; 2) using or threatening to use any instrument that is generally considered a weapon; 3) possessing, using, or be under the influence of illegal drugs; 4) possessing, using, or being under the influence of alcoholic beverages; 5) assaulting or physically abusing any person; 6) engaging in any act that is immoral or otherwise detrimental to the image of the school; 7) using, possessing and/or transmitting tobacco; 8) Intentionally damaging, destroying, vandalizing or stealing school property; 9) attending a party or being present in a vehicle where illegal drugs are being used or where alcohol is being used illegally by minors. 

Penalties for not following the code of conduct vary with the action. For the first offense, the student must sit out of 33 percent of extracurricular activities or do 15 hours of community service. If a student self reports their actions the penalty can be reduced to 25 percent of sitting out of extracurricular activities or five hours of community service. 

“I want to try and do community service through the school,” said Bissen. “I will be contacting custodians in terms of activities that need to be done. We do it through the school to help monitor the work being done. Students can help with activities outside of school but it must be pre-approved and supervised.” 

The second offense is increased to sitting out 50 percent of extracurricular activities. The third offense requires the student to sit out of extracurricular activities for an entire calendar year. 

Some students worry about how receiving a code of conduct violation will affect their college applications and scholarships; however that is not generally a concern. 

“As a school we do not send any disciplinary files onto schools or scholarship organizations,” said Bissen.