Girls’ Cross Country Team Finishes Third at First Meet

Junior Erin Schultz starts out strong on her first meet.

Photo by: Harding Photography

Lillian Becker, Editor in Chief

The girls’ cross country team took third place in their first meet of the season. The team had three runners place in the top 15 at the previous meet. 

Head Coach Dani Woodman is on her second year of coaching the varsity girls. She is not new to the cross country program because she has been a part of the Glenwood girls team for seven years. 

“Our team goals this year are to compete successfully within our conference and class  and to instill values of hard work, teamwork and positive attitude,” said Woodman. “My personal goal is to be a positive leader and a mentor for the team. As part of this goal, I’ve started reading a couple new books and look forward to continuing to learn more.”

The team has three varsity girls returning from last year: juniors Abby McIntyre, Erin Schultz, and Lauren Becker. Sophomores Riley Weise and Rachel Mullenax have put in a lot of work this summer and look to be promising runners this season both competing for a varsity spot. 

Junior Erin Schulz has ran cross country for three years and highly recommends it to anyone interested. 

“I really love the family atmosphere that our team has,” said Schultz. “Everyone supports each other in everything we do, and we’re always cheering each other on as well as pushing each other to be our best. My personal goals for this season includes beating my times from last year on every course and placing in the top 15 at districts to qualify for state individually.” 

Woodman believes the season will be promising.

“I am looking forward to watching the girls cross country team compete this year,” said Woodman. 

The next competition is a co-ed meet at LC on September 14.