Join Newspaper, It Was Fun

Join Newspaper, It Was Fun

Kevin the Rambler's voice of reason, our moral compass.

Robin Hundt

Robin Hundt

Robin Hundt

Teresa Hutchinson, Contributor

This school year was full of ups and downs. Between the loss on homecoming and the horrendous flood, it has definitely been a rough year, however, being a contributor to the Rambler not only leaves me informed on all the recent news, but also keeps my spirits up with great experiences.

The first positive happening in room B102-3 was when Rambler Adviser Robin Hundt received a fish from her Connections students, who named him Kevin. Kevin is our class mascot and even survived his attempted tank escape. He is a moody blue fish but he loves us, and what is better than being loved by a fish that looks like he is mad all the time?

Another amusing ditty was the war between the Newspaper and Yearbook staffs’, which has existed since the beginning of time. We are in a never ending war for superiority. While this war seems petty and unnecessary, it is the backbone of our prized Rambler, pushing us to do our best and lord our eminence over Yearbook.

Yearbook staff member sophomore Sadie Randolph, however, tried to end the war by leaving inspirational and positive notes for each member of the Newspaper staff. The next day, senior staff member Ryan Schnurr rejected the olive branch by erasing a note made out to senior Editor-in-Chief Nick Stavas. Rude, to say the least.

Our hard work was rewarded in April of 2019. We had a pancake party in which Hundt made delicious pancakes. They were absolutely blissful and fluffy. We even used the press pass to leave school to purchase syrup, coffee condiments and food. Sounds great right? We were able to have as many parties as we wanted as long as we supplied the food and got our work done. Schnurr hid his 50 percent free syrup in the ceiling tile… just a side note.

Everyday, senior entertainment editor Gable Thompson became our holy entity, making water for his hot chocolate and providing the class with cafination and hot drinks.

The most memorable and one of our best read articles started out as an April fools joke. Stavas and Schnurr concocted a very convincing article about our most beloved Assistant Principal Richard Nickerson, explaining he was leaving GCHS to take a position as assistant manager of Chuck E. Cheese. Who knew he would actually leave his current post to become our fearless leader?

It’s not all fun and games though. Hundt entered articles, cartoons and photographs into the UNO High School Media Conference where they were judged against over 15 other school’s articles. Stavas won second for Best Sports story and second for Best Column. Junior Tanner Williams won second for Best Cartoon. Stavas urged the Rambler newbies and veterans to avenge his continual loss to Marian Catholic High School.

Overall, the Newspaper gang this year was fun and the atmosphere was relaxed and bright. The staff this year was unique. Many will not be here next school year and will leave gaps, so join Newspaper to experience all the great things you can accomplish like we have this year. You might even get into the Opinion Tribune via the Aries page where we showcase our staff’s best writing.