Girls’ Track Takes State

Girls’ Track Takes State

The Glenwood Girls' Track Team celebrates their champioship moment

Tami Becker

Tami Becker

Tami Becker

Zander Carda, Contributor

Never in the history of Glenwood Community High School has there been a girls sports state championship team until Saturday, May 18, 2019. The Lady Rams’ Track Team were deemed state champions after they had scored 65 points to edge out Dubuque Wahlert who scored 64.5 points by half a point.

This track season was definitely a challenge, due to the construction of the athletic complex, the girls did not have a track to practice on.

It was definitely a struggle not having a track. It made practice run a lot differently than previous seasons,” junior Sami Parr said, “We knew we couldn’t control not having a track and that we would make the best of what we had.

It was hard not having a track,” sophomore Marissa Ausdemore said, “I feel like the team could’ve been even better if we had a track, but it was amazing to see what we could do to work around this adversity.”

A regular day of practice started with a warm up in the gym or in the Catholic church parking lot. After that, the team would get in a workout that might include running around the top loop in the school or laps around the soccer field. Then, practice would move to the gym to mark off hurdle distances.

“I did one track workout this entire year and it was my pre-meet workout for state. Other than that we were in parking lots, running in the school, went on long runs and doing cross workouts in the pool,” said Senior Janette Schraft in a KMA Sports interview.

Janette Schraft was state champ in four out of four of her races: The 800m, 1,500m, 3,000m and the 400 meter hurdles.

Schraft scored 40 of Glenwood’s 65 points but it was a team effort that made everything possible. Junior Audrey Arnold, sophomore Marissa Ausdemore, junior Sami Parr and sophomore Elle Scarborough were the Shuttle Hurdle Relay State Champions and hold a new school record with a time of 1:05:51. Seniors Sadey Allgood and Bailey Ostrander, junior Jaeda Wilson and freshman Coryl Matheny broke the 4x200m school record with a time of 1:45:72 to finish fourth. Senior Abi Shultz, Freshman Abby Hughes, Jaeda Wilson and Coryl Matheny placed sixth in the 4x400m. Senior Sydney Biermann placed fifth in shot put with a toss of 37′ 3.75″. Bailey Ostrander finished nineteenth in the 100m dash, Jaeda Wilson finished seventh in the 400m dash, Coryl Matheny finished seventh in a three way tie in the high jump and Elle Scarborough finished eighth in the 100m hurdles. 

The unstable weather conditions were a factor for the Lady Rams.

“State track was crazy, the weather was rough with the heat and the rain, but just like last year, it was an amazing experience. It was great to be able to feel the satisfaction and get a reward for how hard we’ve worked this season,” said Parr

The team’s attitude contributed to their victory.

“This was an incredible experience, working hard towards something with not only a great team but a great family. We fought and feared but we had fun while doing it. If I ever had the opportunity I would go back and do it all over again,” said Ausdemore

The state track experience was extraordinary, the Blue Oval is where dreams come true. For the Glenwood girls’ track team that dream was a state championship.