Nickerson Steps into Principal Role

Nickerson Steps into Principal Role

Associate Principal Rick Nickerson will be the new Principal for the 2019-2020 school year. Photo by Isabella Milone

Isabella Milone, News Editor

In wake of Principal Richard Hutchinson leaving GCHS, Associate Principal Rick Nickerson has been hired, after being interviewed by Superintendent Devin Embray and the school board, to be principal of the high school starting the 2019-2020 school year.

“My goals for next year are fairly simple,” said Nickerson. “We want to provide quality educational opportunities for all students.  Those are to meet students where they are at and help them move forward.”

Many instructors are eager to see how Nickerson will lead the high school.

“I am excited to see what Mr. Nickerson brings to our building in the role of principal,” said Instructor Eric Rasmussen. “He has been working as an assistant principal in our building now through three different administrations, and I think those experiences will help shape to some extent how he approaches leading our building.”

Rasmussen believes that Nickerson’s past experience will benefit his transition and the high school in the coming years.

“Having somebody who knows the issues our building faces and has insight into how the building works is something I think will be of great benefit to the school,” said Rasmussen. “I do not know if any changes will be made from previous years, that remains to be seen, but Mr. Nickerson does a good job of communicating with staff and students and I think that is an essential skill for anyone in a leadership role to have.”

Students also see Nickerson as a suitable person for the job.

“I think he was a good fit for the job and I’m excited for him,” said junior Jaeda Wilson. “I like how he treats all of the students equally and many of them feel like they can talk to him about things that are bothering them.”

Sophomore Lachlan Ruff is excited to see Nickerson become the principal next year.

“I think that Nickerson will make a great principal, he already works hard and does a good job, i’m excited to see how he does,” said Ruff.  “I do think that changes will be made because like any changing of position will result in changes of policy. But more likely then not it won’t be drastic, slowly but surely, little by little, rules policies and systems will be tweaked and changed to make things better for students and faculty.”

Nickerson is enthusiastic to work with staff and students to continue expanding beneficial relationships.

“I think you can expect the same things for me as principal as I have shown as the Associate,” said Nickerson. “I will be engaged and available to staff and students alike.  I will work hard to provide new opportunities for students. I look forward to working with staff, parents and students on continuing the positive relationships and programs we currently have.”