School’s Response to the Flood

The 'Flood Store' that was hosted in the auxiliary gym at GCHS and now at the Glenwood Resource Center enables people affected by the flood to get what they need.

Zander Carda

Teresa Hutchinson, Contributor

With 35 high school students displaced from their homes and the entire high school without consumable water, one big question is what the school is doing to help its students and community.

The school has helped the displaced students and other flood victims get back on their feet by encouraging students to bring food and hygiene products. Many teachers have also reached out to students; however, they wish for their efforts to remain anonymous. Every high school student who has been a victim of the flood has received a $50 target gift card and a #WeAreGlenwood t-shirt to show them that they are not alone and they will always have a place at Glenwood High School.

With water flooding their homes, should those students have to worry about their school work?

“I don’t know if I can really keep up with all the work,” said an anonymous displaced student. “The Monday after the flood hit, a teacher got upset with all the students who didn’t complete their work from the following week, but I was worried about the flood on Friday, knowing I lived in a flood plain and over the weekend I had more important things to do than sit down and do school work.”

However the school remains open not only so the student can graduate but also to provide a place of familiarity and normality.

“We want to help our students graduate of course as an educational institution,” said Principal Richard Hutchinson. “However we need a bit of normality in this chaotic time.”

Hutchinson suggests to the displaced students to ask for help if they are falling behind in classes so their instructors and the school can help them get through this difficult time.

“There has been so much support from so many people in our community and outside of Mills County,”said Guidance Counselor Kathleen Loeffelbein. “We have people assisting with the flood store, sponsored by the store house, who come from Lewis Central and people donating their water and supplies from other states. It is truly amazing and heart warming.”

About the Contributors
Teresa Hutchinson, Contributor

My name is Teresa Hutchinson and I'm a sophomore. This is my first year on the newspaper. I enjoy reading, sleeping, and Netflix & Chill....

Zander Carda, Contributor

This is Zander's third year on staff.