Glenwood Senior Finds Solace in Sports, Community After his Pacific Junction Home is Destroyed by Flood Waters

Nick Stavas, Editor-in-Chief

The recent flood disaster that has ravaged communities surrounding the Missouri River has certainly taken its toll on people affected. With over 400 displaced families in the state of Iowa, including 35 GCHS students, many have experienced life-changing damage to their homes, possessions, and even their spirits. For Glenwood High School Senior Zach Lacy, however, the latter remains to be seen.

Anyone who knows Lacy is familiar with his upbeat attitude and consistent smile. Recently, those two parts of Lacy’s personality haven’t wavered. So much so, that without asking, one wouldn’t even know that his Pacific Junction home was swallowed by 10-feet of flood waters less than two weeks ago.

“I just realized it’s not only me in this situation,” Lacy said. “There was really nothing we could do, so I just try to make the best of it and be happy with what we did get out.”

A lot of the people affected by this year’s flood also felt the wake of the 2011 flood as well, even though it wasn’t as severe. When his family received the evacuation call on March 17, Lacy’s mind instantly thought back to the disaster that struck eight years ago.

“My initial reaction was that this was gonna be just like the 2011 flood where we moved everything out of the house and Pacific Junction didn’t even flood.”

This time however, it did flood, and the families had to move out so quickly, not all possessions were saved.

“We basically just got all of our pictures, most of our clothes and all of our electronics out.”

The Lacy family is currently staying with extended family in Glenwood, and still await a FEMA assessment of their property before making decisions for the future. Lacy said it’s unlikely they move back to Pacific Junction.

Despite the turmoil of his current situation, Lacy has coped with the disaster through the sports he plays during the spring season. Lacy is involved in track and field, as well as rugby.

“Sports have been a big help,” he said. “Track and rugby are the only thing that is still normal for me right now. It just lets me have fun with all my friends.”

He and his family have persisted with the assistance that they have received from the Glenwood community.

“I’ve gotten so much support from everyone,” he said. “With the whole community donating so much stuff that it filled the auxiliary gym and so many friends and teachers asking me if I need anything at all.”