Envirothon Encourages Outdoor Exploration

Envirothon students taking part in practice tests

Kendra Biermann

Kendra Biermann

Kendra Biermann

Justin Reed, Contributor

A new activity has been grabbing the attention of Envirothon participants, inspiring them to get outside and appreciate the outdoors and learn how to protect and preserve wildlife.

The National Conservation Foundation-Envirothon is a annual environmentally themed academic competition for high school aged students. The competition is held by the United States and Canada on a regional, state, or bi-national level and combines in-class and hands-on environmental education in a competition that requires problem solving and knowledge of the outdoors.

The competition tests students on five core subjects including, aquatic ecology, forestry, soils and land use, wildlife, and a annually changing subtopic which focuses on relevant environmental issues.

“Our students attend two days of training at Pony Creek and listen to speakers, receive hands on learning with equipment and take practice tests,” said Envirothon Sponsor Kendra Biermann.

Envirothon participants senior Sydney Biermann wants to learn more about the environment in order to prepare herself for the future.

“I wanted to better my knowledge and prepare myself for college and my career after college,” said Biermann

The Envirothon is still welcoming new participants who are passionate about nature and care about wildlife and agriculture, and encourage students to become enthused enough to participate.  

Envirothon Participants include seniors Sydney Biermann, Aaron Dempsey, Tye Johnston, and Ben Ramsey, junior Nate Vinton, and sophomores Grant Ramsey, Zach Zielstra, Creighton Deitchler, and Gavin Biermann.