Girls Soccer Prepares for First Game

Senior+Catherine+Millar+prepares+for+the+girl%27s+first+soccer+game.+Photo+by+Harding+Photography.+

Girls Soccer Prepares for First Game

Senior Catherine Millar prepares for the girl's first soccer game. Photo by Harding Photography.

Isabella Milone, News Editor

Head Coach Amy Benson has big goals for the girls’ soccer team this year.

“Our team goals include having a winning record, winning the Hawkeye 10, making it to regional finals and finally winning in regional finals to make it to state,” said Benson.

One of the obstacles the team will face this year, like all teams, includes possible injuries.

“We usually face challenges during the season such as keeping players healthy so we are able to have plenty of players for games,” said Benson. “We had lots of injuries last year accompanied with some extenuating circumstances, so we started being low on players. We have a very healthy number currently so we are hoping to keep all of those girls playing throughout the season.”

There are 31 girls out for soccer this season.

“My goals this season are to constantly lift our team up and be a strong leader. I want to be more vocal on the field and make sure our team sees the greatness we can achieve,” said junior goalie Kendall Bardsley. “I really want to work hard on my footwork as a goalie to help give my offensive, as well as my defensive girls, time to move up the field and prepare to receive the ball and attack.”

Glenwood will have their work cut out for them with the competitors of Abraham Lincoln and Lewis Central.

“Abraham Lincoln is usually a competitive team we play and our girls fought hard last season to come out with a win and we will fight hard this season for a win too,” said Bardsley.  “Lewis Central is also a very competitive and skilled team we play in which is always a tough game for us. I think the work we put in is going to help us make the LC vs Glenwood game a good game to come out and watch.”

Though there are challenges against the team, Bardsley believes mindset is key to overcoming them.

“I feel that if we encounter a loss, we have to remember our little and big goals we want to accomplish and turn around and work even harder to meet our goals,” said Bardsley.

The first game for the girls will be on April 1 against Sioux City at home.

About the Writer
Isabella Milone, Contributor

My name is Isabella Milone, and I am a junior at GCHS. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am a competitive swimmer and pianist. I plan to...