Dyslexia Challenges Students and Staff

Freshman+Katelyn+Lorimor+and+Tyler+Wells+%0A%0APhoto+by%3A+Lillian+Becker+

Dyslexia Challenges Students and Staff

Freshman Katelyn Lorimor and Tyler Wells 

Photo by: Lillian Becker

Freshman Katelyn Lorimor and Tyler Wells Photo by: Lillian Becker

Lillian Becker, Feature Editor

Students and staff members diagnosed with Dyslexia face challenges everyday that others might not understand. These challenges hinder productivity and make everyday life harder.

Freshman Katelynn Lorimor has struggled with Dyslexia since she was six years old.

“Depending on the day, it can get hard at times especially when I have more than one test in a school day,” said Lorimor. “When I have a test, I have an option on my IEP to be excused from class to have the test read to me. I also have one extra class called ‘Learning Strategies’ which helps me when I’m trying to keep up in class.”

Dyslexia is a language-based learning disability that affects mostly young students learning to read. Students usually are diagnosed with this disability from kindergarten to fourth grade because that is when reading basics are taught. Students have troubles decoding single words and may be slow to learn the connection between letters and sounds. People with this disability also may confuse small words like at/to and does/goes.

Lorimor is most affected by her Dyslexia during English and Math classes.

“When I read out loud, I’m always afraid of reading [the word] wrong or saying the wrong word and it can get very frustrating,” said Lormior. “I get stressed out and overwhelmed many times during the day because of my Dyslexia.”

Another freshman student, Tyler Wells, struggles with Dyslexia as well. Wells did not know he had Dyslexia until fifth grade, but he always struggled with his ABC’s when he was younger.

“Dyslexia affects my numbers, letters and my music notes in band,” said Wells. “I can still do all of these things, but it just take me more time. For example, when I read a book it takes me about 5-10 minutes to read a single page of a chapter book.”

Instructor Robin Hundt understands her students’ difficulties because she also struggles with Dyslexia.  

“My work day is harder as a teacher than my co-workers because I have to double check what I type and what I write very carefully,” said Hundt. “I don’t think I ever type anything without errors in it. Writing on the board is also challenging for me because I often leave out letters. When I have to submit forms with dates on them, I often write the incorrect date.”

Hundt did not find out she had Dyslexia until she was in college when she went to the optometrist for an eye exam and could not read the letters on the eye chart in the correct order.

Dyslexia causes different  frustrations for different people.

“I absolutely hate sending emails with dates in them. I can almost guarantee I will type the wrong date,” said Hundt. “Last year I reserved a bus for mock trial for the wrong day. The day of competition arrived but we had no bus. Kids had to call their parents to get permission to ride with each other. I was humiliated by this error.”

About the Writer
Lillian Becker, Features Editor

My name is Lillian Becker.
I am a junior at GCHS.
This is my second year on staff.
I love to cheer, play soccer, and play piano.
I plan to go to Iowa...