GCHS Converts to New Due Dates Policy

Isabella Milone, News Editor

Not docking students’ grades when work is turned in late is part of the new standard referenced grading system that GCHS has adopted.

“The goal of standard referenced grading is that all students learn the content, not just the ones who can learn on the uniform timeline,” said Instructional Coach Kathi Krzycki. “Curriculum goals don’t require that every individual reaches the same level of proficiency on the same day, only that every student achieves the goal.”

However, many see that this policy has caused a lack of productivity in students.

“Without due dates, students wait until the very last minute to turn things in, and sometimes this means until the end of the semester. Waiting this long teaches them that it is okay to lack punctuality,” said English Instructor Makenze West. “Being punctual is certainly a skill they will need once they are adults.

West implies that learning is tied closely with productivity.

West said, “Learning and productivity are hindered because students, at times, will sit in class and be unproductive because they know that they can take as long as they want to get the assignment done. This means that they are not asking questions, or getting the help they need during the time the material is being covered in class.”

Students also see negatives with this new policy and believe it has allowed them to develop poor study habits that will affect them in the future.

“I believe I will get used to never having to have anything done by a certain time or date in school, which will affect me in college because due dates are a very important part of school,” said freshman Kamryn Crouch.

Junior Jaeda Wilson said, “I think that this new policy will make it harder to study well in the future because there’s no incentive to make us do it now. There’s nothing keeping us from procrastinating.”

Though an instructor is not able to lower a student’s grade for late completion, the late assignment will be noted on the student’s employability grades.

“If students care about learning and wants to be prepared for college it is within them to ensure they get their work done and turned in in time,” said Superintendent Devin Embray. “It is my understanding that our employability and citizenship grades are sent to colleges as well as potential employers for use in admission or employment.”

No employability grades were given first semester this school year, and instructors are uncertain if they will be given second semester.

“The reason employability grades were not on transcripts first semester is because of the transition to the new report card. We’ve had a lot of technology issues,” said Principal Richard Hutchinson. “We are working with the AEA and I think we have it worked out, so the employability grades will be available on the second semester transcripts.”

Though employability grades do not affect academic grades, Hutchinson believes that they are just as important.

“I believe the employability grades are important because they allow people to see what we would call ‘soft skills’, how well you can complete tasks, how reliable you are, how well you work with others,” said Hutchinson. “Lots of employers and colleges are looking at employability grades just as much as they are looking at academic grades, so I think they both are of the highest importance.”

About the Writer
Isabella Milone, Contributor

My name is Isabella Milone, and I am a junior at GCHS. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am a competitive swimmer and pianist. I plan to...