Hospitality and Baking Ends its First Semester

With Hospitality and Baking out of the way instructor Janis Moore begins her culinary class

Teresa Hutchinson

Teresa Hutchinson

Teresa Hutchinson

Teresa Hutchinson, Contributer

Instructor Janis Moore plans on another semester of hospitality and baking next year and encourages students to try it… there’s food

First semester hospitality and baking class taught by Moore, marketed their baked goods to faculty and staff of the Glenwood High School, family members of the students and family friends.

From decorated cookies to delicious casseroles, the students have worked hard to produce food for families. Priced to cover the cost and earn a little profit, the charge was fair for the amount and quality of food: $10 for an 8×8 pan of casserole, $8 for a dozen scones and only $5 for a loaf bread.

When baking the casseroles, the class separated the ingredients into different sized pans for different sized families. Thirty dozen halloween cookies were hand frosted and decorated by the students. For christmas they sold a limited amount of cookies, four different kinds of truffles and peppermint and chocolate fudge.

Students were not allowed to buy the food themselves due to the Healthy Foods Act. According to Obamawhitehouse.archives, this allows the increase of healthy foods for students but doesn’t allow students to buy large portions of food from other students.

“This class was a great opportunity for students to, not only learn new cooking skills, but also improve teamwork in the kitchen and reinforce math skills,” said Moore. “ I think students who know the basics of food preparation and want to develop their skills further would thoroughly enjoy this class.”

About the Contributor
Teresa Hutchinson, Contributor

My name is Teresa Hutchinson and I'm a sophomore. This is my first year on the newspaper. I enjoy reading, sleeping, and Netflix & Chill....