Opinion: Growing Fortnite Addiction Proves to be Major Issue in Today’s Youth

Gregory Topete, Contributor

Since Fortnite’s debut, it has shown how easily susceptible kids are to addiction.  

Fortnite Battle Royale is the PvP(player vs. player), which racked up around 80 million players in August, has taken the world by storm since its launch in 2017. However Fortnite has been causing some problems of addiction with adolescence.

Before we get into the rest of this, let’s talk about how the game works. 100 people parachute into a map with nothing but a pick axe. Guns and loot are scattered around the map for you to find. The goal is to survive/kill until you’re the last player.  

The repetitiveness of the video game is what I believe makes it addicting to vacuous people.  Yes, I know video games are addicting to a good chunk of society but I just don’t understand how people in their mid 20’s, or in high school, can be so interested in a game that looks like it’s meant to entertain kids who still believe in Santa Claus.

I personally have been damaged emotionally from Fortnite addiction among my peers. When my friends talk the gibberish that is Fortnite lingo I always feel so detached from the group. Or whenever my friends are on Xbox they only play Fortnite and never play with me on the clearly superior Skate 3.

Reported instances of Fortnite addiction include a girl in the UK who refused to quit playing the game, and chose to urinate herself instead of taking a break and going to the restroom. Kids have also been caught stealing their parents credit card to buy what Fortnite calls a “battle pass”. A battle pass is something you buy that helps you get more rewards by completing challenges.

It’s not unusual for Glenwood students to lose large amounts of sleep over the video game.  

To add too, “I usually don’t get to bed until 2 am because of Fortnite,” said an anonymous GHS student.

200 UK couples are already citing Fortnite as the reason they are calling it quits in their marriage.

“These numbers equate to roughly 5 percent of the 4,665 petitions we have handled since the beginning of the year and as one of the largest filers of divorce petitions in the UK, is a pretty good indicator,” said Divorce Online.  

Addiction to drugs, alcohol and gambling are usually cited as the reason for a relationship breaking down but with new technology comes new addictions. In June the World Health Organization officially recognized “gaming disorder” as a mental health disease.

So please stop excluding people like me, and stop playing Fortnite. 

About the Writer
Gregory Topete, Contributor

What's up my names Greg, a.k.a. The Independent Variable. I'm 17 years young. I'm a Senior. This is my second year on staff. I'm also in an alternative...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Opinion: Growing Fortnite Addiction Proves to be Major Issue in Today’s Youth”

1. Diana McGhee on January 16th, 2019 4:05 pm

I never knew how much this game bothered you and society. Thanks for researching it and sharing facts. I appreciate your honesty and I hope your friends stop leaving you out of the conversation. You do have a lot to share!

2. Carter Plambeck on January 17th, 2019 11:06 am

I’ll play Skate 3 with you Greg. <3

3. Dylan Bird on January 28th, 2019 10:43 am

fortnite is superior to every other game especially skate 3 which is boring and nobody cares about it. fortnite will be the biggest game ever other than minecraft.

4. Grace on January 29th, 2019 2:01 pm

We have a future to look forward, SOMEDAY everyone (or almost everyone in 18+ years) is bound to have a family, and WE NEED TO UNPLUG to make sure THEY CAN FUNCTION AS BASIC HUMANS and have GOOD SOCIAL SKILLS!!

• Opinion: Growing Fortnite Addiction Proves to be Major Issue in Today’s Youth

Entertainment

Fallout 76 Review: Give it a Second Chance

Entertainment

Remedy Co. Brings Fresh Options to Glenwood

Entertainment

No Candy Hearts this Valentine’s Day

Entertainment

The February Movie Brief

• Entertainment

‘Pep Band’ by Tanner Williams

• Entertainment

El Porton Voted Favorite Restaurant by Students

Entertainment

January Movie Preview

Entertainment

Gordon’s List of the Best and Worst Games of 2018

Entertainment

Greg and Zanders Top Ten Holiday Movies

Entertainment

Gordon’s List of Ten Words so Gross You’ll Cringe