SWIHMB Travel to Florida to Play in the Outback Bowl

SWIHMB+students+preparing+to+march+in+the+parade+

SWIHMB students preparing to march in the parade

Lillian Becker, Feature Editor

Southwest Iowa Honor Marching Band students traveled to Tampa, Florida to play in the Outback Bowl on January 1.

Students from all over Southwest Iowa auditioned to be in the band. For the audition, students had to memorize ten scales and learn two different songs. Glenwood Band director David Clark had the privilege to direct the whole band on this trip. Thirty seven students from Glenwood were selected to be in the band and made the 21 hour drive to Florida.

While in Florida student participated in numerous activities.

“Students spent two days at Universal Studios, half a day at St. Pete Beach, had two hour long mass band rehearsals, went to Busch Gardens theme park, performed in the Outback Parade in Ybor City, visited great local restaurants, performed at the Outback Bowl Halftime Show and watched the entire Iowa vs Mississippi St football game,” said Clark. “Then students capped off the trip with a two and a half hour cruise on the Tampa coast where they ate dinner and had a DJ dance party.”

Although the trip was busy, students found it enjoyable. Junior band member Audrey Arnold had a wonderful experience on the trip.

“This was a great way to spend my winter break. One of my favorite parts of the trip was the parade on New Years Eve,” said Arnold. “The atmosphere of the crowd made marching in the parade very enjoyable. All of the Iowa fans in the crowd were really excited to see a band from Iowa.”

“This was an amazing trip and experience for both students and directors and I think that every one of them would do it again in a heartbeat,” said Clark.