Gordon’s List of the Best and Worst Games of 2018

Red Dead Redemption 2 is my pick for game of the year; a fantastic western epic set in 1899.

Gordon Tuomikoski, Contributor

Red Dead Redemption 2  | 97% Metacritic | 10/10 IGN | 5/5 Game Rant |

The prequel to the arguably best cowboy video game ever, Red Dead Redemption; “Red Dead Redemption 2” takes players back to the southwest United States, set 12 years before the original in 1899. Players control Arthur Morgan, a lost outlaw, part of the Van Der Linde gang. This gang is a group of outlaws and families just trying to escape from their past and settle out of the country peacefully. The game involves a beautiful expansive open world, incredible story and voice acting, and a seemingly endless world full of things to do. It’s no surprise “Red Dead Redemption 2” was one of the nominees for Game of the Year and one of my favorite games released in 2018.

God of War | 10/10 Polygon | 94% Metacritic | 10/10 IGN |

“God of War” is one of Sony’s most beloved series, and the newest title, simply called God of War is no exception. Set in a world of Norse mythology as opposed to the original Greek mythology in previous titles, players control Kratos, a God and the son of Zeus. It’s a story about a father and son, who after the death of his wife and his son Atreus’s mother must learn to reconnect with each other. This is a coming of age story in a way. The game features a great combat system with combos, as players control both Kratos and Atreus. I don’t have a Playstation 4, so I didn’t get to play the game this year. Since the game won Game of the Year 2018, I have to agree, it’s an amazing action adventure.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate  | 8/10 Trusted Reviews | 9/10 Gamespot | 5/5 Stuff |

The long awaited addition to Nintendo’s critically successful Super Smash Bros. series, “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” gives players the whole Smash formula with new features and twists. It includes an immense selection of over 76 characters and 100 maps from every Smash Bros. game. In the campaign, Spirit Adventure, Kirby is the last surviving character not subject to being mind controlled in the World of Light. The player has to fight hundreds of battles across the map to finally free the droned characters with the aid of assists called Spirits, who boost abilities or grant immunity to certain level attributes like lava floors. “Smash Ultimate” was one of the most hyped games in the series, and I think it lived up to the hype. It’s a fantastic game.

Forza Horizon 4 | 9.6/10 IGN | 92% Metacritic | 89% PC Gamer |

The newest game in Microsoft’s Forza series, “Forza Horizon 4” continues in Forza’s spinoff Horizon series as an open world racing adventure. The game features an immense selection of over 450 licensed cars and a massive map set in northern England. For more information on the game, check out my article from October 24 for a full review. “Forza Horizon 4” is my pick for the best racing game of 2018.

Disappointing or Overhyped Games of 2018:

Fallout 76 | 5/10 IGN | 53% Metacritic | 60% PC Gamer |

When fans heard of a new Fallout game at E3 (a massive electronic gaming convention) this year, the hype was high for the newest title in Bethesda’s post apocalyptic game series. However, as the trailers released, and more information was given, players began to doubt the game’s true formula. For one, “Fallout 76” has no NPC’s (Non-Player-Characters) whatsoever. This removes a huge chunk of the roleplaying immersion that previous titles cherished. Players have to rely on holotapes (alternate universe cassette tapes) and robots to tell the story. Bethesda’s response to the outrage was that because of the game’s multiplayer, other players would help provide the true story and lore of the wasteland. Set in West Virginia, the land of Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah River, “Fallout 76” was a massive disappointment and commercial failure.

Far Cry 5 | 6.5/10 Polygon | 8.9/10 IGN | 9/10 Gamespot |

Despite the relatively positive critic reviews, the community loathed this game as one of the worst in the Far Cry series. Set in rural Montana, the player is a deputy sent to investigate a murderous doomsday cult killing innocent people in the name of their prophecy. The story is decent, but the problems with the game arise in its gameplay. The game is extremely repetitive and boring. It essentially contains a lot of the aspects of “Red Dead Redemption 2” like hunting, but without any depth or motivation. The game was a very boring 60 hours of my life.

And that sums up my list of games for 2018. There were many other games like “Spider Man” I didn’t get to play, which leaves me without much of an opinion on them. With all things considered, 2018 was a year full of excitement and disappointment in gaming, and 2019 looks very exciting with new games like “Dying Light 2,” “The Division 2” and much more.

About the Writer
Gordon Tuomikoski, Contributor

What's up, I'm Gordon Tuomikoski. I'm 16, a sophomore, and this is my first year on staff. Outside of school I love playing with synthesizers and making...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Gordon’s List of the Best and Worst Games of 2018”

1. h on January 3rd, 2019 2:27 pm

Gamespot is Gamestop

2. Gordon Tuomikoski on January 4th, 2019 9:15 am

For those complaining about Fortnite not being featured in the 2018 games article:

Fortnite was released on July 27th, 2017. It caught on in 2018, but it wasn’t released last year.

And Far Cry 5, maybe I was a little too harsh, the game was quite fun for a while, but it got repetitive later on.

3. Gordon Tuomikoski on January 4th, 2019 9:15 am

In all honesty a lot of this article was a bit rushed to finish before the end of the year, maybe Far Cry 5 wasn’t worthy of the place I put it.

• Gordon’s List of the Best and Worst Games of 2018

Entertainment

Fallout 76 Review: Give it a Second Chance

Entertainment

Remedy Co. Brings Fresh Options to Glenwood

Entertainment

No Candy Hearts this Valentine’s Day

Entertainment

The February Movie Brief

• Entertainment

‘Pep Band’ by Tanner Williams

• Entertainment

El Porton Voted Favorite Restaurant by Students

Entertainment

Opinion: Growing Fortnite Addiction Proves to be Major Issue in Today’s Youth

Entertainment

January Movie Preview

Entertainment

Greg and Zanders Top Ten Holiday Movies

Entertainment

Gordon’s List of Ten Words so Gross You’ll Cringe