Girls Basketball Team off to Best Start in Years

Joslyn Lewis (left)  screens the AL defender as Elle Scarborough drives to the hoop (Right, back)

Joslyn Lewis (left) screens the AL defender as Elle Scarborough drives to the hoop (Right, back)

Felix Cooper

The Lady Rams have played strong so far in the season and stand 4-3 currently. They took down Saint Albert 57-44 on December 8.  Senior Brooklyn Taylor led the Rams, scoring 14 points, followed by sophomore Elle Scarbrough with 9.

Glenwood won 67-52 in a tense game against the Creston girls on November 30th as well. Freshman Madison Camden scored a total of 16 points, followed by Senior Brielle Smith with 15 points. Smith also made an impressive total of 8 rebounds.

The team also beat Abraham Lincoln 64-55 in another back and forth game. Sophomore Elle Scarbrough scored a whopping 24 points and 11 rebounds on the night.

The Lady Rams have been making steady progress since their first game and loss of the season, where they lost 48-64 to Thomas Jefferson. 

The team returned from a game at Atlantic with a 67-39 win. Scarbrough led with 15 points. Most recently, the team lost their match with Denison 58-70.

Head coach Brian Rasmussen had high praise for his team so far.

“We’ve had a good start, and with each contest and practice, we get better,” said Rasmussen. “It’s a whole new system when you have a new coach, and I think the girls transitioned well.”

Rasmussen believes the Lady Rams will be playing their very best by the end of the year.

“There is always room for improvement,” added Rasmussen. “We aren’t scoring as well as we can, and our rebounds could be more consistent. Our goals are just to win, have fun, and improve every single day, in practice and in games. The team keeps a competitive mindset even when they play against each other. Our work ethic is really, ‘We’re here to get better and to make each other better.'”

The team will continue to work hard in the games coming and their practices during the break. This year there are also several freshman seeing varsity time: Abby Hughes, Madison Camden, Brynlee Arnold, and Kennedy Jones. With this bold addition to the teams, naturally, Rasmussen was a little nervous.

“First, it was a concern,” Rasmussen said. “Past experiences introducing underclassmen into varsity has been challenging. These girls have transitioned well and our upperclassman have been very welcoming  to the underclassmen talent. Encouraging each other, pushing, competing like we do.”

The Lady Rams will take on Red Oak tonight.

About the Writer
Felix Cooper, Contributor

Felix Cooper ♩Sophomore ♩ First year on staff

I am a musician and writer; father of lizards and dogs; and an actor.  

My future plans are...