Freshmen Spread Mental Health Awareness

Freshmen+Audrey+Zielstra%2C+Molly+Killion+and+Adalyn+Oetter+are+creating+an+FCCLA+project+about+mental+health+awareness.+Photo+by+Isabella+Milone.+

Freshmen Spread Mental Health Awareness

Freshmen Audrey Zielstra, Molly Killion and Adalyn Oetter are creating an FCCLA project about mental health awareness. Photo by Isabella Milone.

Isabella Milone, News Editor

Freshmen Molly Killion, Audrey Zielstra and Adalyn Oetter are starting an FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America) project to spread mental health awareness in the high school.

“Our goal is to not only make students and faculty more aware of the mental health problem but also to try and better school policy on how mental illness is dealt with,” said Killion. “We have contacted a licensed psychologist at the Boystown Behavioral Health Center and have done extensive research to present the most accurate information possible.”

The girls plan to create informative posters to post around the school. They will also send out a survey asking students what they know about mental health and what the school has done to help.

“Many students experience feelings of depression or anxiety but don’t know enough about mental illness to realize that it’s a problem and that they should be getting some form of help whether it be medicinal or a form of therapy,” said Killion. “From what the three of us have noticed alone, people are not responding well to the school’s attempt to spread mental health awareness. Something that is supposed to be beneficial to students has become a joke.”

Killion, Zielstra and Oetter will put together a portfolio that explains what they have done with their project and will give a ten minute presentation at a competition to a small panel of judges. If their presentation goes well, the group will continue on to the national level.

“We hope that spreading awareness about mental illness and mental health at the high school will help to reduce the stigma around the topic,” said Killion. “Not only would it make it easier to acknowledge and talk about, it would also greatly increase the chances of students getting the help they need when they need it. We are hoping that our awareness will help kids at our school.”