• NO SCHOOL Nov 21-23

• P/T Conferences Nov 15

• Picture Retakes Nov 8

Blood Drive Committee Urges GCHS to Donate

Red Cross takes blood donations from the students of GCHS to save lives.

Teresa Hutchinson

The Glenwood High School blood drive committee invites both students and teachers to participate in the blood drive to save lives across the country. The next blood drive is Tuesday, January 15.

The most recent drive on Thursday, November 15, was a big success. While the committee is saddened from the overall lack of donations they are pleased to announce that there were 37 new donors taking part. The total number of donates made was 62 however over 10 were turned away due to complications.

High school blood drives are scheduled for November, January, March, and July. Instructor Jennifer Lewis, the blood drive faculty advisor, insisted that the blood drives should occur between the sports seasons so that players can donate and not have a game within the same week.

To donate, students must be sixteen or older. If they are under eighteen, a parent’s consent is needed, however if they are over eighteen all they need is some form of I.D. Donors will have their blood pressure, temperature and iron checked after they finish a questionnaire on different information regarding diseases donors need to be aware of, traveling they have done and medicines they may take. This information is used to determine if their blood is healthy enough to be used on other people.

The drive will take one unit of blood per person which will then be split into red cells, plasma, and platelets. With this system, the blood donated by one person can assist three other people in need.

8 years ago, on average, the committee would collect around 90 units per drive, but in the past few years the blood drive collected around 60-70 units.

On the other hand, 5-15 people are turned away on average. The majority of the people turned away consist of girls with low iron levels. According to womenshealth.gov, girls are more likely to have low iron level than guys. Iron deficiency is only found in 2 percent of adult men, and anywhere from 9 to 20 percent in women.

Senior representative Abi Schultz believes that the blood drives not only saves lives, but also helps the students at Glenwood High School.

“I believe the blood drives help people realize there are things bigger than our school,” said Schultz,“more important things that could determine life and death that we could help with.”

The whole process takes about an hour; however, there is a Red Cross app that will speed up the wait. The app enables donors to answer all the questions before they have their blood drawn, then all the representatives have to do is scan the barcode it sends. Simply download the app or go to the Red Cross website.

When volunteers first donate, they will receive a donor card in the mail that will have their blood type on it along with their name and a barcode with all of their information on it. They will also receive a letter informing them of where their blood has helped someone.

The blood is usually donated within the Midwest. However, it can be donated to where there is a large need for it, in areas that have experienced a catastrophe or any kind.

“The need for blood is greater these days, and if we as a school can get more teenagers to donate while they are young, they are more likely to be donors later on,” said Lewis.

The blood drive committee wants the students and administration to know that there are plenty of people who will need blood. To help, all that people need to do is donate their blood and a small amount of time.

About the Writer
Teresa Hutchinson, Contributor

My name is Teresa Hutchinson and I'm a sophomore. This is my first year on the newspaper. I enjoy reading, sleeping, and Netflix & Chill....

1 Comment

One Response to “Blood Drive Committee Urges GCHS to Donate”

1. Mrs. Lewis on December 7th, 2018 10:20 am

Just wanted to clear up one thing. Students who are 16 need a signed permission slip. If you are 17 or older you only need ID.